Slow Wireless
spt1

I have a Westell 7500 Gateway that I have been using since I got Verizon DSL.  But now I have 2 laptops, PS3, 2 smart phones, a tv now, and a printer all connected wireless.  And now I have noticed a considerable slowdown of my internet.  Haven't before but now I do.  Will switching to another wireless modem/router that Verizon offers, D-Link or Actiontec,  help with my speed slow down or will it just be a waste of money?  Any ideas or comments will help.

Connection is

DSL Rate3358 Kbps / 863 Kbps
0 Likes
Re: Slow Wireless
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While I know you have more than one computer behind this router: What happens when only one of those computers is on and you test the download and upload speed?

For example of a site that allows you to test the speed

http://www.speedtest.net/

#2 Do you any computers that are connected to the router by wire (not wireless) ?

0 Likes
spt1

I did a speed test with only 1 laptop active and someone playing an online game on the PS3.  And my download speed is 2.78 mbps. 

I do know when both laptops are being used and the PS3 is being used,  I will loose internet connection and have to do a reboot.  When the PS3 and the laptop are active at the same time the laptop seems to lag and cannot watch videos off of Youtube for an example.  Normaly you can without any buffering.

I cannot hook up my laptops via a wired connection.  Location of my modem/router prevents that. 

I was just wondering if I change or "upgrade" to another modem/router will I notice any change.  I was thinking with all these wireless devices on this home network, maybe I am pushing the capabilities of this Westell 7500

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

3Mbps is well within the rhelm of what Wireless G routers (A Westell 7500) can do so no, you won't see a speed increase moving to another Gateway. If you get one with Wireless N the only thing you'll see an improvement in is the increase of your internal LAN speed while on the Wireless.

Do you know what speed package you pay for? If you're testing at 2.8*Mbps you're getting about what you should be at your current sync rate. There could be a slowdown somewhere in transit or the DSL connection itself if it was set to 5Mbps, 7Mbps, 10Mbps or 15Mbps could have dropped to 3Mbps which isn't unheard of either, since all of those speeds are in the same package. If the PS3 is for example running PSHome, Sony's online virtual world in more "busy" areas I have seen the PS3 pull an upward of 2-3Mbps sustained from my 5Mbps connection.

As for the disconnections, are you seeing a drop in the connection where your Internet light goes out or the DSL light starts to Flash, or is this a drop where your Wireless quits working but Wired connections continue to work?

0 Likes