Slow internet and connection turns off and on
Darkgolem
Enthusiast - Level 1

My internet is slower than what it used to be and my internet connection light just turns off randomly and then it reconnects a few mins later. It just recently started to happened (about 1 week ago). It also takes a long time to load webpages. I have the 29.99 package for internet speed (2mb/s i think) and it feels like its not even going anywhere near that speed.This is what i got for the Verizon online speedtest:

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 785.17Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 249.40kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_26

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplexD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 63.56 msec; the Packet size = 1444 Bytes; and
There were 50 packets retransmitted, 60 duplicate acks received, and 68 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 8 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 2.05 seconds (15.76%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 15.98% of the time.
This connection is network limited 84.02% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Transciever info.

Transceiver Information    Downstream Path      Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                       1248                            704

Margin (dB)                                            8.0                               10.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                           32.5                             22.0

Transmit Power (dBm)                       16.9                              11.9

Re: Slow internet and connection turns off and on
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your line is having a noise issue. If you have access to your NID, please plug your modem into the test jack inside of the NID and provide the new statistics that the modem shows. This will allow us to rule out your home's wiring as being the source of the poor DSL signal you're receiving.

If you need information on what the NID would be, see this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317 . NIDs are usually found near your Electrical Service enterance on the side of your home, or near your electrical panel if the NID is in your basement. If it's not there, it's often found on an extension pole between the street and your home.

Darkgolem
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry, but im only 17. i wouldn't know where to look for the NID in my apartment. i don't know any of this because i have never done this before and i dont want to mess around with something that i am not familiar with. It would seem like i would have to schedule a tech to come to my apartment then.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The NID is pretty simple to use; it's really nothing more than a phone jack covered up by a plastic cover when you open up the Customer Access portion of it. You really can't mess anything up and if somehow you manage to disconnect one of the wire pairs, it can be fixed simply with a flathead screwdriver. The same section also has the connections for going to your apartment. But if you feel it's best to get a tech out to check the issue, it isn't a problem. Just be aware that if the tech performs any work on the inside wiring, you may be charged for it.

0 Likes