Slow speed after upgrade to Fios Gigabit
CFPSystems

Hello,

Have the new black ONT and the 1100 gateway. When I was on the 150/150 plan I had no issues with speed on my GateProtect firewall when it was connected via ethernet from the ONT (at this point the coax was still connected to the 1100 for channel guide), and the wan on the 1100 was connected to a wide-open, separate subnet from my internal network and everything worked great.

No wiring touched and they upgraded my speed to gig. Have not been able to get anywhere near the speeds (best has been 620/340).

Did some speed testing from the CLI of the firewall and same thing - it wasn't getting enough in to it to send out to my network.

Spent time with support and they opted to send a tech today. Guy tested all the usual stuff and ended up plugging the 1100 directly into the ONT, laptop into the 1100 and the speeds worked fine.

Because I need the external IP address on the firewall (client access, VPN, etc.), we tried to put the unit in bridge mode then plug into the firewall - same slow response; however, we also plugged a laptop directly into the ONT, got the IP address and STILL slow speed (which took the firewall out of the mix at this point).

Therefore I ask, why would it work fine at 150/150 and bomb out at gig unless you did a factory reset on the 1100 and plugged into it? Any ideas?

The firewall is capable of 10g speeds (I use the same firewalls in large corporations), so it's not an interface speed thing. I also tried auto-neg and manually set the speeds on the nic with no change in performance. Additionally, I left the MTU size set to 1500 on everything so I don't have a mis-match there...

Kinda stumpped and if anyone has any clues I would certainly appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie-

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow speed after upgrade to Fios Gigabit
Number10Son
Enthusiast - Level 1

10gig and 2.5gig F/W Interfaces probably are not probably configured to run at 1-gig.  What errors do you see in the F/W and FIOS Router Logs ?  Interface Mismatch ? MTU Size Wrong ?    Duplex Mismatch ?  Interface CRC Errors, Re-Transmission Errors ? Do you have the Router’s WAN Ethernet Port Locked to the old Speed ?  Are you using Cheap Ethernet Patch Cables,  or do you have good quality Cat5e or 6a ?  Check your Logs !  Do a Factory Reset on the Router if all else fails.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to clarify, from the ONT, you have your firewall connected via ethernet, then you wire the G1100 to the firewall and have speed issues?

But ti's full speed if the G1100 is wired directly to the ONT?

CFPSystems

Basically, yes you are correct in your summary.

When I see that I figured the issue must be firewall related; however, I install these same firewalls with 10G connections, 2.5G connections and there is not throttling of speed (other than the overhead for actual "firewalling").

I even had the engineers at GateProtect look at everything and when they run speed tests via the CLI, they too are not getting the advertised speeds.

Open for any suggestions else I will just have to drop back to the 150/150 that worked perfectly.

Thanks-

0 Likes
Number10Son
Enthusiast - Level 1

10gig and 2.5gig F/W Interfaces probably are not probably configured to run at 1-gig.  What errors do you see in the F/W and FIOS Router Logs ?  Interface Mismatch ? MTU Size Wrong ?    Duplex Mismatch ?  Interface CRC Errors, Re-Transmission Errors ? Do you have the Router’s WAN Ethernet Port Locked to the old Speed ?  Are you using Cheap Ethernet Patch Cables,  or do you have good quality Cat5e or 6a ?  Check your Logs !  Do a Factory Reset on the Router if all else fails.  

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes