Slow speed on all devices despite Gigabyte service to the router
usalj

I upgraded from 75 mbps to the 1 gig speed 2 days ago.  Verizon Speedtests show that the router is getting the appropriate speeds, but none of my devices (via ethernet connections), including 3 windows 10 laptops (all with 8 GBs of RAM), one of which is only a year old, go above 100 mbps.   Wi-fi is even slower, on the laptops, as well as on phones and tablets (around 30-45mbps).  

Troubleshooting included removing all devices from the router, and then attaching only 1 laptop, first directly to the ONT,  and then to the router, with no improvement in speed.  A Verizon tech swapped the router today (1 Quantum to another), with no improvement.  Any suggestions to increase the speed to the devices, both via  ethernet and via wi-fi?   

Thanks for any help or ideas you can provide.  

0 Likes
Re: Slow speed on all devices despite Gigabyte service to the router
jonjones1
Legend

The devices will never obtain huge speeds. Depending on the radio in the WiFi devices you may obtain 50% if listed provisioned speeds.

the lap tops may be running Windows 10 or windows anything and have a gazillion megabytes of ram on the motherboard but if the processor speed is not at the very top the connections will not show top speeds.

the problem is you said the Speedtest is showing gigabyte speed or close to it. That is all Verizon will accept.

My suggestion is to borrow a Triband router not of Verizon design. Hook it up get dhcp and then hook a laptop in and test the speeds only from the Verizon Speedtest site. And activate the WiFi on the non Verizon router and see if that improves.

or bring your laptops and phones to another persons home you know has Fios and see how fast it is there. This way you will know if it’s your devices or the Fios connection 

0 Likes
usalj

Thanks for the input.   Unfortunately, I do not have anyone nearby with Gigabyte speed or a tri-band router I can test my devices on.

In the event that I need to buy a new laptop, what are the minimum specs in a processor that would provide the higher internet speed I desire?  Is a 7th generation i5 or i7 chip sufficient, or do I need an 8th generation i5 or i7? 

And if I get a new laptop, do I also need to get a non-verizon triband router (of course I will test it before buying a router)?    Or, am I better off buying a new router first and see if that improves my device speed sufficiently.

My primary use of the laptop is for internet use, and I do not need anything geared to gaming or anything else that is resource heavy. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sorry for the late response.

you do not need a Verizon router to have gigabyte speeds. Any decent tri band router like a netgear or asus etc can do better than the quantum g1100.

if you are getting gigabyte speeds now as you stated you are then I would not spend more money on a router.

as I said even a top of the line laptop or desktop will not top out with device speeds matching 940/880 as Verizon claims at top speeds.

having gigabyte is overkill. I have it but I never need it for the things my wife and I do. But it’s nice to have.

The speed at 15/1 we had on cable was ok. And the 150/150 on Fios was also great. Now with speeds showing 940/920 almost all the time it’s just not needed but the price was right.

You could get an i7 intel system with a ssd drive like I have with 16 gb of ram and I get around 890/880 on a direct connect. The nic card is rated for gigabyte speed but like I said other factors affect it. I would not worry about it.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi usalj,

You can find system requirements and maximum wifi speeds here:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fios-gigabit-connection.htm

0 Likes
Jimbostro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is full of crap with their gigabyte service. Yes you will get up 950 download speeds to their ONT but NOT to their router from ONT. I switched back to Verizon in Sept for gigabyte speed. After FIOS install I connected to Verizon router with cat6 cable, verified gigabyte connection to router from Lenovo laptop. No other devices connected to FIOS router. I ran their speed test, 350 download and like 370 upload. I ran their speed test to ONT and it was like 950 download. Now during install Verizon Tech ran cat5e from ONT to their router less then 20 feet. How am I loosing 600mbps from ONT to router less then 20 feet??? Yes I understand hardware software etc will slow down speeds but NOT over 600mbps. I called support and Verizon 2nd level support said it was a firewall issue!!! Really firewall issue?? I have been in IT for over 25 years and have never seen complex networks loose that much bandwith... They are full of crap... 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure how you ran speedtest to ONT.

ONT is a dumb device that does not support IP back to user.

The two ways I know is for you to run speedtest from router to Verizon server or from device to speedtest server.

If you are getting good speed from rotuer but not from device, it could be connection.

It is recommended that it be a wired connection (wifi can be unpreditcable).

Test should be run to speedtest.verizon.net

0 Likes