Some Devices Say "Unable To Connect" to FiOS Wi-Fi When Password is Correct
Sulleee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

So originally we had an issue where sometimes, when trying to connect to our iPhones to our FiOS router, it would say "Unable to connect" when the password was 100% accurate. 2 of us with the same phone and updates would do it, it would work for 1 person and take about 5-10 tries for the second person to get on.  It was only an iPhone issue at first, and I had read about some issues with them internally that may have been causing this.

However, today, my wife tried connecting her Lenovo work laptop to the router. It had previously been connected but somehow lost the connection. She entered the password and got the "Unable to connect" message. She verified the password was correct and tried 5 times to no avail. It finally worked the 6th time doing the same exact thing. 

Is there any tech reasons this could be possible or figure out a reason for why this is happening and how to prevent it in the future?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Some Devices Say "Unable To Connect" to FiOS Wi-Fi When Password is Correct
Sulleee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info again.  I'll make sure to go through those steps with the products going forward and see if that fixes it all.  I will make sure to update my firmware on the router as well to hopefully capture all the most recent updates and such if there were any.  I hope we don't have this issue with much going forward, but if we do, I'll check it out!

The test will be new products that haven't been on network before, and seeing how quickly/if they connect to WiFi on the first go. If not, I'll have the person get closer to router and try, and then if that doesn't work, I'll explore other options.  Seems there isn't a definitive thing to try but I'll keep up my trial and error.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Loss of WiFi to the laptop and iPhones etc. can be due to loss of signal.

is the devices connecting at the 5 Ghz band? Or at 2.4 Ghz? At the moment there is a 5 Ghz connectivity issue with the Quantum Gateway Router G1100 so that may play a part.

additionally if your devices are cycling on and off it could be the router.

now if your wife had her computer hooked via direct ethernet to the router then that would not be a WiFi issue. That would mean a bad router. So call up and get a replacement.

you could also try to forget the network on WiFi and reconnect to the WiFi network.

many times that fixes the issue. 

Lastly you could go into the WiFi settings and change the password. Then scan for your network SSID and click connect. Put in the new password and see if that fixes the problem.

Sulleee
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjones wrote:

Loss of WiFi to the laptop and iPhones etc. can be due to loss of signal.

is the devices connecting at the 5 Ghz band? Or at 2.4 Ghz? At the moment there is a 5 Ghz connectivity issue with the Quantum Gateway Router G1100 so that may play a part.

additionally if your devices are cycling on and off it could be the router.

now if your wife had her computer hooked via direct ethernet to the router then that would not be a WiFi issue. That would mean a bad router. So call up and get a replacement.

you could also try to forget the network on WiFi and reconnect to the WiFi network.

many times that fixes the issue. 

Lastly you could go into the WiFi settings and change the password. Then scan for your network SSID and click connect. Put in the new password and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

To answer some of your points:

- We never really had loss of the signals, once connected we haven't had issues, it was that first initial connection for the iPhones and her laptop. That, on top of my PC being connected via Ethernet and it working fine is how I know the router isn't the issue (most likely, I assume).

- I told her to always connect to 2.4 simply because she would not be sitting close to the router so the connection signal would extend further and be more appropriate, she was only using 2.4.

- No issue with cycling on and off, this one just happened to lose its connection but she very rarely brings it home to use, so it leads me to think it could be an issue w the laptop wireless card, but the fact that the password was accurate, as it had been in the original iPhone case issue, seemed too similar so I wanted to cover those bases.  The phones havent lost any signal since connecting originally, was just odd that the password was totally correct and it wouldn't connect for a few tries until it randomly did.

- I had her restart her laptop and then it connected on the first try (try number 6 overall), so it may have been that simple fix, but I still found it odd that the password was correct every time and sometimes it would say "Unable to connect" when everything else was connected still and the password was accurate.

Is it possible that the password itself could be an issue? I don't think so, as it doesn't sound logical, but maybe moreso that the signal strength is an issue and if you were to get closer to connect that it would more easily?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The password is held in the routers settings for your network. If there was an update pushed to the router there can be a corruption. That would be logical.

The 2.4 Ghz band is farther reaching so that would not be issue. Radio interference would also be something to consider. Cordless phones, microwave ovens, security cameras, wireless thermostats and of course what you thought of with the radio in the laptop.

sometimes computer manufacturers and OS providers push out these updates which in many cases cause more problems than fixes.

My wife just had her new HP laptop go through some sort of security update/removal which had her WiFi not function on two connections or try’s. I had to go in and do a forget network, find our home network and then log back in. Needless to say it worked.

Sulleee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info again.  I'll make sure to go through those steps with the products going forward and see if that fixes it all.  I will make sure to update my firmware on the router as well to hopefully capture all the most recent updates and such if there were any.  I hope we don't have this issue with much going forward, but if we do, I'll check it out!

The test will be new products that haven't been on network before, and seeing how quickly/if they connect to WiFi on the first go. If not, I'll have the person get closer to router and try, and then if that doesn't work, I'll explore other options.  Seems there isn't a definitive thing to try but I'll keep up my trial and error.

Thanks!

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes