Speed tests -- Verizon vs. Speakeasy
JAD12

My speed test on https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ gives me much lower download speed than when I test on the Verizon app. What could be the explanation for that, and which is really accurate?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Speed tests -- Verizon vs. Speakeasy
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The verizion test remains within the verizon network and thus you will always test out with better speeds.  However, the issue with other testing services (speakeasy, Speedtest, etc.) is that you are constrained both by any internconnection conjestion between verizion and the ISP where the remote test server is located AND the connection speed of the server itself.  

With Speedtest.net, you can change the server you test against.  The one which is selected by default isn't always the best.  I know, for instance, in my case the default server is usually a local Comcast node or a school.   The Comcast node always tops out at around 500mb or a little less while the school always tops out around 100mb (the school probably only has a 100/100 connection and well, as for Comcast, what's their motivation to make a Verizion speed test look fast?).  When I select different ones, I will eventually find one which has better results -- in my case, there is a wireless ISP that operates in an area about 2 hours drive from me that seems to have a node which is attached on a high speed connection -- and where I regularly see 800mb down and slightly better up.   YMMV.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@JAD1 wrote:

My speed test on https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ gives me much lower download speed than when I test on the Verizon app. What could be the explanation for that, and which is really accurate?

A few points to ponder.

1) if on wifi, no good. Verizon only guarantees a direct connection to the router to their official proprietary network.

2) other test sites have congestion and internet traffic so maybe more accurate as to your true speeds.

3) there is not too many test sites that give actual acurate results. They vary. In fact you never mention what speed you are provisioned for gigabyte? 300/300, 150/150, 75/75 ?

fios is still even on a bad day faster than cable at present. 

JAD12

I am testing on a computer hard wired into my router.

Speakeasy gives me 393 d/l and 414 u/l. 

Verizon test gives me 945 d/l and 925 u/l.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JAD1 wrote:

I am testing on a computer hard wired into my router.

Speakeasy gives me 393 d/l and 414 u/l. 

Verizon test gives me 945 d/l and 925 u/l.

Yep you have gigabyte service....

verizon posts “speeds up to 940/880” so they are covered. Like i said proprietary network versus real world tests. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The verizion test remains within the verizon network and thus you will always test out with better speeds.  However, the issue with other testing services (speakeasy, Speedtest, etc.) is that you are constrained both by any internconnection conjestion between verizion and the ISP where the remote test server is located AND the connection speed of the server itself.  

With Speedtest.net, you can change the server you test against.  The one which is selected by default isn't always the best.  I know, for instance, in my case the default server is usually a local Comcast node or a school.   The Comcast node always tops out at around 500mb or a little less while the school always tops out around 100mb (the school probably only has a 100/100 connection and well, as for Comcast, what's their motivation to make a Verizion speed test look fast?).  When I select different ones, I will eventually find one which has better results -- in my case, there is a wireless ISP that operates in an area about 2 hours drive from me that seems to have a node which is attached on a high speed connection -- and where I regularly see 800mb down and slightly better up.   YMMV.