Static IP Address for NAS (Network Attached Storage)
mattybme

I have just installed Fios and saddened to hear that Verizon does not provide a Static IP Address for residential. I have a Synology NAS device that requires a Static IP address. I was routed to Business Services to be told that on my current 150/65 Internet serive my Internet bill alone would jump to $203.99 a month just to have a Static IP address. Are there any workarounds? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Static IP Address for NAS (Network Attached Storage)
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you need a static IP address on the *public* internet, then yes, you need a business account from Verizon.  Otherwise, your IP address can change whenever Verizon feels like it.  In reality, they don't change that often.  But they can.

However, I'm guessing that you want a static IP address within your LAN and don't need to have a static public address.  If so, that is easy to do.  You could search this forum for "static IP" and find lots of answers.  Here's one I posted a while back:

----

I'm assuming you have an Actiontec router on FiOS.  The trick is to create a static DHCP lease in the router for each device you want to have a fixed IP address.

Login to your router.   Go to the "DHCP Connections" list.  You can get there from the Advanced Menu by clicking on "IP Address Distribution" and then "Connection List."  It's also buried in network menus.

Once on this list, find an active device that you want to have a fixed IP address, click the "edit" icon, and click the "static lease" checkbox.  Next, apply the changes.  You may also want to edit the name the router uses for that IP address to make it easy to tell what the device is ("game_server", for example).  Save those changes, and your done!  "Wash, rinse, repeat" for all any other other devices that you want to have a fixed IP address or name.

-----

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/I-need-help-creating-a-static-IP-Adress/m-p/544047

Have Fun,

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you need a static IP address on the *public* internet, then yes, you need a business account from Verizon.  Otherwise, your IP address can change whenever Verizon feels like it.  In reality, they don't change that often.  But they can.

However, I'm guessing that you want a static IP address within your LAN and don't need to have a static public address.  If so, that is easy to do.  You could search this forum for "static IP" and find lots of answers.  Here's one I posted a while back:

----

I'm assuming you have an Actiontec router on FiOS.  The trick is to create a static DHCP lease in the router for each device you want to have a fixed IP address.

Login to your router.   Go to the "DHCP Connections" list.  You can get there from the Advanced Menu by clicking on "IP Address Distribution" and then "Connection List."  It's also buried in network menus.

Once on this list, find an active device that you want to have a fixed IP address, click the "edit" icon, and click the "static lease" checkbox.  Next, apply the changes.  You may also want to edit the name the router uses for that IP address to make it easy to tell what the device is ("game_server", for example).  Save those changes, and your done!  "Wash, rinse, repeat" for all any other other devices that you want to have a fixed IP address or name.

-----

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/I-need-help-creating-a-static-IP-Adress/m-p/544047

Have Fun,

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Unclear from your post whether your talking about a static WAN IP address or a static LAN IP address.

As you found out, static WAN IP addresses are only available on business accounts.  However, there is a workaround.

Establish a free account with dyndns.org.  You can then connect to your NAS from the internet by specifying a domain name such as mydomain.dyndns.com.  Dyndns will map the domain name to your dynamic WAN IP address.  You can even configure the Actiontec router to automatically notify dyndns servers when your WAN IP address changes.

gs0b has already given you a solution for assigning the NAS a static LAN IP address.