Stop Fios equipment from beeping can't open box
Dreamy1

I know this topic has been covered and I've seen youtube videos however I have a completely different box than what I have seen.  I can't see how to open the box.  I can't find any instructions online.  I see the cable but I'm afraid to just yank it out (not sure if it will mess up anything.  I don't have a landline only stand alone internet.  I have the model CyberPower CA25U16V2.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Stop Fios equipment from beeping can't open box
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The BBU is inside.  Verizon never installs them outside, as it's sealed-lead-acid batteries are not capable of operating below freezing or in hot temperatures.  The pictures you posted do not show the BBU.

If you can't find the BBU, maybe it's something else that's beeping.  If you're convinced the beeping came from a BBU, keep looking.  It has to be inside your home.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have my doubts that the power supply is beeping. Is there a BBU mounted near the ONT & power supply?

If so, the batteries are likely drained.

I don't have the current BBU, but, it looks like it simply plugs into the side of the power supply.

If that is the case, unplug the BBU from the power supply and remove the batteries.

A picture or two of the ONT & power supply can be posted for us to look at. Note that new pictures are queued for a Moderator to approve before they will appear.

Dreamy1

Thanks.  Looks like it's not coming from the power supply because I unplugged it and it still beeped.  It sounded like it was coming from the ceiling of the furnace room.  The power unit and the router is in the furnace room but I could not find the BBU. l looked outside and there's a box outside I'm assuming the BBU is in there.  I haven't opened it because it was very cold yesterday and now we have snow so it will have to wait a few days.  Is this the box where the BBU is located?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

We'll be able to tell once the picture is approved by a moderator. 🙂 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

BBU's are never mounted outside as the batteries are not rated for outdoor usage.

The picture shows an ONT enclosure and a telephone network interface device (NID,) which is where the phone lines are connected.  It's upside down, which is rather odd.  The opening are designed to be on the bottom so water doesn't get inside the NID.  An upside down install like that will encourage water to enter and will ultimately lead to excess corrosion and noisy phone lines.  It's possible it was removed from service when the fios ONT was installed; I can't tell from the picture.

As for the BBU, keep looking around inside.  If you found the power supply, follow the wires from it and they will lead you to the BBU.

Dreamy1

The wires lead outside to the box under the fuse box in the furnace room there's nothing else in the house. I work out of town and I haven't had a chance to open the box (very cold) but I haven't heard it beep since I've been home late Thursday night.  Will it completely stop (just wear out) without having to do anything?  I don't have a landline so I don't need to replace the battery.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The beeping could return. My thought would be to open the BBU and remove the battery altogether.

When the time comes to replace the ONT, the new unit won't come with a BBU.  At that point, purchasing a UPS for the ONT and router might be worth exploring.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The BBU is inside.  Verizon never installs them outside, as it's sealed-lead-acid batteries are not capable of operating below freezing or in hot temperatures.  The pictures you posted do not show the BBU.

If you can't find the BBU, maybe it's something else that's beeping.  If you're convinced the beeping came from a BBU, keep looking.  It has to be inside your home.