Re: Suspicious Email from ?Verizon Notifications?
vdev
Enthusiast - Level 2

New ToS include (10.4) ...

"We do not share information collected for the purpose of network or computer performance monitoring or for providing customized technical support outside of Verizon or its authorized vendors, contractors and agents."

I wonder just how wide the "agent" description extends?? As this is written they could collect it for monitoring and provide it to DoubleClick for advertising. The language does not preclude it and what is not prohibited is permitted.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@vdev wrote:

New ToS include (10.4) ...

"We do not share information collected for the purpose of network or computer performance monitoring or for providing customized technical support outside of Verizon or its authorized vendors, contractors and agents."

I wonder just how wide the "agent" description extends?? As this is written they could collect it for monitoring and provide it to DoubleClick for advertising. The language does not preclude it and what is not prohibited is permitted.

again out of context.

You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer and Equipment settings, as they relate to the Service, Software, or other services, which we may offer from time to time. We do not share information collected for the purpose of network or computer performance monitoring or for providing customized technical support outside of Verizon or its authorized vendors, contractors and agents.

Anything beyond Verizon Services is out of bounds.

You guys dont think that this hasnt already been gone over by lawyers aready do you? The wording is very specific. Verizon has an army of layers that do nothing but look at these systems to make sure that what they are doing will meet any scrutiny. I've seen this same clause on many other services I have had from dial up to dsl.

If you dont like it, drop Verizon. simple as that.

Justin46
Legend

I guess I will try one more time..... Smiley Very Happy

1) A couple of you have addressed me directly, apparently asking me to do something to get Verizon to change. I really don't understand your requests, I don't work for Verizon, never have, and I don't think I have any more influence with Verizon than you do. So no, I cannot fix or change anything.

2) The title of this thread is "Re: Suspicious Email from ?Verizon Notifications?", about an email from Verizon dated 4/19/2011, it is not about the full TOS. The email addressed only a few changes, one of which was the part about the router, it had no mention of accessing your computers. That is what I commented on, trying to explain what I thought the change was about (and I am pretty sure I was correct).

3) I think, but am not sure, that the portions of the TOS that everybody seems to be so excited about have been in the TOS for quite some time. How long I don't know. But Verizon always (at least I think always) notifies users of changes to the TOS, and I do not remember any change to the TOS recently with that wording. But if that wording has been there for a while, then all of you implicitly agreed to it by using the service. So why are you all upset now, you didn't read the TOS when you signed up?

4) As Spacedebris said, if you don't like it, discontinue the service, and be sure to tell the agent the reason you are discontinuing. That is the best way to tell Verizon in no uncertain terms that you do not agree with their policies and practices.

5) I have no concerns at all about the wording of either the notification email or the current TOS. You can think me a fool or whatever you want, but it does not bother me, at least in part because I do not use any Verizon software on my computers. I do have the InHome Agent and Media Manager installed on one computer, but since I have never found any real reason to use either of them, to me all of this is a non-issue.

I hope that clarifies my views on this. All I was trying to do was answer the original post, and I think I did so correctly.

Keller, TX 76248