Switching from Comcast to Verizon - Router options
paulson1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am planning to swtich from comcast to verizon FIOS internet soon. I did some research on the forum regarding my options of using the router i have currently (Netgear WNR2000). Do you guys think this will work? I am only getting the FIOS internet 25 MPBS.

I have read the below link that talks about the MOCA bridge. I am still not clear whether my current router works or whether i have to purchase the one verizon provides. I understand i need the Actiontec for the initial set up but later i can remove it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16793

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching from Comcast to Verizon - Router options
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

probably not.  Standard FIOS installs use COAX. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Are you going to have TV service with Verizon, or just Internet?

If you'll have TV service, you'll need to keep the Verizon router (probably Actiontec) to get numerous feature on your TVs, features such as the program guide, etc.

If you'll only have Internet, you could get Verizon to provision your ONT for Ethernet output and use your Netgear router.

paulson1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am only getting FIOS internet. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Then you should be able to use your Netgear router.

When you order FiOS tell Verizon you want to have your ONT provisioned for Ethernet, rather than coax.  And when the installer shows up, make sure they also know that you're going to be using your own router and need to be provisioned for Ethernet feed.

Once FiOS is installed you should be able to connect the Ethernet output from the ONT to the WAN input on your Netgear router to be up-and-running.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would also recommend purchasing the FiOS router if Verizon only gives you the option to rent or buy. That will keep the bill low over time after the initial hit. Renting ISP gear is silly and often just for the profit of the ISP.

paulson1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had Verizon FIOS 1 year before and my home is already wired with ONT and Coax cable. Do they have to remove the Coax cable and redo the wiring with ethernet cable?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

probably not.  Standard FIOS installs use COAX. 

0 Likes
paulson1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are there any issues buying used verizon Router's from ebay? I am wondering what are the precautions i should take when i set up the used router

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@paulson wrote:

Are there any issues buying used verizon Router's from ebay? I am wondering what are the precautions i should take when i set up the used router

I would reset the used router back to the default settings, so you can get into the router and all of their settings will be lost..