TV internet connection
lb102

I recently purchased a Vizio TV with internet capability. However when I try to connect to the internet wirelessly the TV asks for the internet security code. I have tried every code from the router but am told that the password is incorrect. What is the correct password? My router is connected to my desktop on a different floor. Can I use another router connected from my cable source and connect the other router to the TV with an Ethernet cable or will the 2 different routers cause a problem?

0 Likes
Re: TV internet connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend
It is asking for your wep key which is found on your routes service tag.
0 Likes
lb102

Thanks. That was the first thing I tried and did not work. Tried more than once.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If you haven't changed anything in your router the password should be shown on the router's label as WEP Key. (edit: If it's not taking your WEP key you could always go in to the router's setup and manually set that password.)

If you want to get Internet to your TV without using wifi you can do it with a MoCA adapter. That's what I'd suggest.  Look at Amazon for an Actiontec HME2200-02, or you can get one on eBay.

You'd split the coax going to your TV, one output from the splitter to the TV and one to the MoCA adapter.  The output from the MoCA adapter is Ethernet.  You'd run a Cat 5 patch cable from the adapter to the Internet input on your TV.  It would avoid any problems that sometimes happen with wireless.

The MoCA adapter is plug-and-play.  It requires no configuration or setup and works great.  Best 80 bux I ever spent.Smiley Wink

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Log into your router from one of your pcs that is connected. Open a browser and put http://192.168.1.1. Admin is your username and your pw should be the serial number on your service tag (case sensitive I believe). The got to wireless settings. Basic security. And your real wep key is there. Try that one.