Tempted by fios
canalrun
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I have had RoadRunner (Spectrum) Internet now for over 20 years. Every year for the past five years or so I have been tempted by FiOS Internet – for lower monthly price and higher speeds.

But, I always get stuck at the same place: "What does the installation hardware look like". I can never get an answer.

Looking at various Internet forums I see there is a tabletop ONT that has ethernet out. I don't need a modem for $10 a month – that pretty much negates any price advantage. All I want to do is switch the ethernet cable from my existing Roadunner box to the new FiOS box (and probably do the DHCP). I have my own wireless network.

I don't want anything nailed to the wall, or some weirdo coax protocol that requires me to buy or rent some modem piece of junk.

When I contact FiOS they tell me the techs will install what they want and I need a $10 per month modem.

What is the real story? Is there a way to specify what I want?

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Likes
Re: Tempted by fios
jonjones1
Legend

Cable is not the same as Fios which is fiber optics. You cannot use any modems period.

what they do is come to your home or apartment if Fios capable, install a Optical Network Terminal ( ONT) either inside or outside your home. The technician makes the determination based on your residence. You don’t get to choose.

if your speed is 50/50 or 75/75 or 100/100 you might get coaxial (MOCA) install. Again they install as to the best and easiest way they decide.

now if over 100/100 you will get a ethernet connection from the ONT to your Verizon router (which you don’t have to use so you were lied to by the sales droid) or your own purchased router. If you use your own router and have internet only you will be good to go. If you have tv in the mix you need either that rental/purchased Verizon router or a MOCA adapter to get the TV guide and video on demand.

unlike cable Verizon does not support customer provided routers, so support stops at the ONT. 

Hope that answered your concerns?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones

unlike cable Verizon does not support customer provided routers, so support stops at the ONT. 

Just to clarify, you can use your own rotuer. But if you are having network issues, support is limited from Verizon if you are not using their router.

jonjones1
Legend

I believe that was what I stated. 😀

0 Likes