Test ONT ethernet port
raphster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I connect an ethernet cable from my laptop directly to the ONT ethernet port to see if I have an active connection? I ordered gigabit service, but have not received my "upgrade kit" nor activation code yet. Delays due to Covid 19 and telephone technical support is over 1hr wait.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Test ONT ethernet port
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To add onto this, if you connect to your ONT and you do get Internet (or if you can reach https://activate.verizon.com), make sure to perform a DHCP RELEASE in your computer's operating system before disconnecting the computer. Otherwise, any router you hook up to the ONT won't be able to pull an IP Address for a couple of hours, when the IP address lease your computer pulled expires.

If your service is not active yet but you're willing to do a self install for Internet, check your ONT to make sure the MGMT and NETWORK lights are lit, and the FAIL light is not lit. If you have those, your ONT is good to go, and you just need to let Verizon know about this. In some cases they may need to come out and change the ONT out. But hopefully it is a newer GPON ONT.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can plug a computer directly into an ONT.

Note that if service is active, the computer will get a public IP address and be fully exposed to the Internet.  Okay for a short test, but not good for long term use.

You can also try contacting Verizon by chat, Twitter support or the VZ direct forum at dslreports.com.  They tend to be more helpful than the phone reps.

Good Luck.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To add onto this, if you connect to your ONT and you do get Internet (or if you can reach https://activate.verizon.com), make sure to perform a DHCP RELEASE in your computer's operating system before disconnecting the computer. Otherwise, any router you hook up to the ONT won't be able to pull an IP Address for a couple of hours, when the IP address lease your computer pulled expires.

If your service is not active yet but you're willing to do a self install for Internet, check your ONT to make sure the MGMT and NETWORK lights are lit, and the FAIL light is not lit. If you have those, your ONT is good to go, and you just need to let Verizon know about this. In some cases they may need to come out and change the ONT out. But hopefully it is a newer GPON ONT.