Thinking of upgrading to FIOS Business Internet because of PS3 Error 8002AD23?
gbrooks1911

If you are here, I am sure that you have read the many threads regarding the PS3 disconnecting frequently.  I have the Actiontec Rev I router and have the same problem with my residential internet.

I have been considering switching over to business fios for quite a while.  Recently, it has occured to me that if I did, I might solve my PS3 disconnect problem.  Many forums state that one reason for the disconnects are because of problems with the NAT table in various routers.  The actiontec has a notoriusly small NAT table.

If I switch to business fios with an account of 5 routable static IP addresses I can assign a static IP to my PS3 and the PS3 would not need to use NAT through the router. 

A few questions:

1.  Does this make sense to anyone else?

2.  Has anyone tried this successfully?

3.  How to handle more than 4 machines?  I have many more devices even though only 2 would "need" ip routable ip addresses.  Would a VLAN for the non routable devices be possible?

Thanks,

George

0 Likes
Re: Thinking of upgrading to FIOS Business Internet because of PS3 Error 8002AD23?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

DISCONNECTS?

Make sure you have disabled IGMP proxy turned off.

use jump after logging on to the router.

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

0 Likes
Re: Thinking of upgrading to FIOS Business Internet because of PS3 Error 8002AD23?
gbrooks1911

@tns_2 wrote:

DISCONNECTS?

Make sure you have disabled IGMP proxy turned off.

use jump after logging on to the router.

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

Thanks, but I tried this and I still get disconnected.

0 Likes
gbrooks1911

I am totally convinced that this problem has something to to with verizon.  I am at my brother's house where he has ComPost as his ISP.  Not only can I play on my PS3 and stay online, I am doing it wirelessly while he is on his PS3 at the same time.  Now I am thinking of getting my ONT to connect to me as ethernet instead of coax.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

This seems like overkill.

FYI: NAT table tends to be less of a problem with Rev I. They have a pretty decent table size.

I'd try more troubleshooting first. Reset all settings and make sure port forwarding is setup correctly. (someone else/ an older thread should have instructions)

I'd also try your luck at demanding a replacement.

If all that doesn't work, before I get the business connection, I would try replacing the router with a 3rd party one. You would either need to replace the Actiontec and have the new router connected via Ethernet (you will lose TV On-Demand functionality and maybe some other special features) or (if you need all your TV settings and/or don't want to change from coax to Ethernet wiring) follow steps here to do a double bridge. (bit technical but should only have to do once) It will solve your NAT table issues with most modern routers and other Actiontec specific issues. 

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have been considering switching over to business fios for quite a while.  Recently, it has occured to me that if I did, I might solve my PS3 disconnect problem.  Many forums state that one reason for the disconnects are because of problems with the NAT table in various routers.  The actiontec has a notoriusly small NAT table.

NAT issues are a universal problem, not really a fault of any ISP - unless that ISP has Carrier Grade NAT. Which Verizon doesn't.

There's mainly 2 big contributors to how well NAT works:

* The NAT table size

* the type of NAT. Check out the NAT wiki. Theres a couple ways to implement NAT in a router. Some routers might even let you play around with the NAT type. At one point I had a D-Link which did allow me to change this setting. Unfortuneatly sometimes you simply won't have a clue as to exactly how NAT has been implemeneted in a router.

* 3rdly is the timeout value of the NAT session. Which sometimes depending on the router you can change.

You can look at Small Net Builder - Max Number of Connections to get an idea on NAT table size - to see what's good if you choose to try a 3rd party router.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/77-max-simul-conn

Of course what goes along with NAT is UPNP / port openings. Is UPNP enabled on the router?

FULL DISCLOSURE, while UPNP is convienient, it has some security risks:

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-fix-the-upnp-security-holes-7000010584/

I'd try another router first. Lastly you don't happen to have 2 PS3s, do you? I only ask because I've been through a 2 Xbox 360 1 router problem. And that was a nightmare.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VUser50 wrote:

This seems like overkill.

If all that doesn't work, before I get the business connection, I would try replacing the router with a 3rd party one. You would either need to replace the Actiontec and have the new router connected via Ethernet (you will lose TV On-Demand functionality and maybe some other special features) or (if you need all your TV settings and/or don't want to change from coax to Ethernet wiring) follow steps here to do a double bridge. (bit technical but should only have to do once) It will solve your NAT table issues with most modern routers and other Actiontec specific issues. 

I agree, it's overkill.  expensive overkill too.

When I put my own router as primary and relegated the verizon router to handle the Moca segment VOD worked just fine.

Actually everything worked fine.  I could not test remote dvr as I don't have any.

I forwarded all the fios service ports that the Verizon router had pf rules for from my router to the verizon router.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You don't say which revision of the Actiontec router you have.

As others have said, the NAT table is NOT an issue in the rev. I.

Any reference to NAT table issues with the Actiontec refers to GEN1 or GEN2 routers.

3)  Simply put a router on one of the static IP addresses.  Connect all your other devices to that router.

As other have also said, a business account is overkill.  There is no need.

If you're experiencing disconnects, something else is going on.

0 Likes
gbrooks1911

I have the Rev I Actiontec.  I put it in bridge mode.  My primary router is a Cisco (Linksys) WRT320N.  At least now my connection lasts for hours before I disconnect.

My next step is to get a newer router to replace the current Linksys.  I would prefer one with dd-wrt preinstalled.  Any suggestions?

The instructions that I have stated for me to connect a LAN port  from the Actiontec to the WAN port of the Linksys and to connect a LAN port from the Actiontec to another LAN port on the Linksys.

There was another configuration where everything was the same except that I would have a LAN port from the Linksys connected to the WAN port of the Actiontec.  I tried to do that, the link light did not come on.  I don't have a crossover cable to see if that would have worked.

0 Likes