This does not seem to be a solution to crappy DSL
Odinbear
First we live rural and when the sun is out, the copper thrives. Our DSL runs 1.8MB Download /.4MB Upload. Lately for a month now, the UL drops to .1, to .3. Called support, they determine it's a modem, ( I tell them, no it's not, cause the problem here has been ongoing). They send a modem, works great for a couple days, then the UL fluctuates again. This time a Service tech is dispatched, arrives to 1.1/.4. Then disconnects everything, reconnects it and gets us 1.8/.4. Says nothing's wrong, but then wants to look at the modem and use our mobile phone. The onsite tech and the phone tech decide to reduce/ throttle our Download speed to 1.2 in a feeble attempt to fix. This was how it was left, our Inhouse speed is approx 1mb download and .3 upload now. We pay for 1.5mb download. And based on experience here, throttling the speed DOES NOT WORK. FIXING THE LINE ISSUES DOES. I will be calling verizon again, though their support is getting worse and worse.
0 Likes
Re: This does not seem to be a solution to crappy DSL
Odinbear
Main issue is, after hooking lines back up, logging into the verizon modem said it was fixed, we were getting 1.8mb/.4mb. Now if it is fixed, why throttle the UL Speed down to 1.2mb, and then tell me on the way out the door that when the repair service ticket was closed the upload speed would go back up. Why lower it in the first place? It was FIXED, then they broke it and left it that way, closing the ticket (closing the ticket, says you resolved the problem, which was not the case). Dishonest to say the least, customers should be required to sign off on Fixed jobs.
0 Likes
Odinbear
Told this by the field tech, too. ( when I started complaining about speed throttling as a solution). Tech said " high speeds would burn up the modem faster" , really? Been running verizon supplied modems since day 1 , at 1.8mb download and they usually get fried by a lightning strike instead. Aren't modems supposed to push speed? Omg, we pay insurance for the modem, if it burns up, which is doubtful from SPEED, WE're covered. I feel cheated in my service tech visit today. We pay good money for DSL, probably more than new customers are lured in for.
0 Likes
Odinbear
To sum it up, the tech came our raw speed was 1.1dl/.4ul. When they left it was 1.2dl/.4ul. And it was called "fixed" . Fixed and normal was 1.75dl/.4ul. So I'm a little confused why I have to call and complain, schedule another tech visit. Or whatever else needs to be done to put it back the way it's been since we began our subscription.
0 Likes
Odinbear
It is now, evening and the 1.2dl. Never went up, rebooted modem several times. The service we are left with this evening is worse than before the tech came. Early this morning, prior to being worked on and fixed it was 1.8mb dl. Working good.
No one reads these, do they?
0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
Just members like you and me, and VZ employe mods. You can post up your transceiver statistics to start. If you don't know how, I can try to you help retrieve them.

If you have an Actiontech gateway (this is the model I have). Type 192.168.1.1. Into your browser. You will be prompted for a user name and password.
Password= password/ Admin= admin. Look for status, select wan settings. Copy and paste them back here. The statics will show line quality, errors, and what speed your provisioned for. After you posted transceiver statics members can give you a general idea of the quality of your line and some suggestions for a solution. You could also run a traceroute.

0 Likes
Odinbear
Verizon, just replaced another working modem, have gone through a westell, an Actiontec and now a D-link.
Connection Type:
DSL/PPPoE
1.8 Mbps Downstream
0.4 Mbps Upstream

I have a tech background, but not sure exactly what you want to see from this current modem. It is new, just setup, only thing I did was input my verizon login and put my PS3 in the DMZ. I've not changed any settings in any of the modems except, portforwarding and this was because I had trouble getting the PS3 to work in the DMZ. ( on both the Westell & the most recent Actiontec ). The speed fluctuations are within the raw speed shown on the 192.168.1.1 screen, not within the network. Individual speed tests can be done on any of the boxes here that reflects about .3 mb lower than the Raw number, which is acceptable and to be expected. (Ie; 1.8MB Download gets us just under 1.5 when testing on a wireless laptop,via dslreports.com or Verizon's speedtest)
Will copy ,paste what you'd like to see, after clarification. And BTW, thanks for taking a minute to answer or even talk to me. 🙂
0 Likes
Odinbear
Upgrade
Release Date: Nov 14 2013
Platform: D-Link DSL-2750B Board
Tag: Ntag-5_4_12_1_44_2_1
Compilation Flags: LIC=/home/bat/bat/dlink_bcm96328_5_4_12_1/20131114_1249/conf/jpkg_bcm9636x_dlink.lic DIST=DLINK_DSL2750B CONFIG_RG_PROD_IMG=y
System Up Time: 13 hours, 53 minutes
Load Average (1 / 5 / 15 mins.): 0.00 / 0.01 / 0.00
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem that is not Verizon's D-link DSL 2750B modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

[EDIT] Also Wireless throughout is not guaranteed so seeing varied speeds and performance is all dependent on the wireless environment you're in. 2.4Ghz (what most wireless devices use primarily) is a very crowded chunk of spectrum that has range over 5Ghz wireless, but is shared by everything from microwaves to other home networks.

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
I also had the D-link DSL 2750B never could get the tranciever statistics. I purchased a Actiontec modem at Best Buy and sent the D-Link back to Verizon. I'm not saying you should do that, but that's what I did. FYI if the
Modem is not Verizon's getting help with the setup.....ETC. Can be difficult.

If you look in the advance settings, you can still access the "system log" Which will show if and when your modems retraining to a lower speed or loosing sync. There is also a traceroute feature and a ping test.

If your syncing at 1.8 Mbps from verizon your speed test should be around 1.2-1.4 Mbps (wired). The 1.8 is the over head. For example if you have a 3 Mbps line your modem will show 3.4. The speed test results will usually be 2.6 to 2.9, and .75 for the upload. This was my experience with the D-Link. Obviously results can be different from mine. Good luck. Hopefully you will get your speed back..
0 Likes