Throttling every night
thetanked

Does verizon seriously think people do not notice that they are being throltled every night. 50/50 up/down and 2 devices connected. One hard plugged in, the other wireless. Wiresless is passively using while the hard plugged device is struggling to load a 10 min youtube video. Seriously verizon...! 

0 Likes
Re: Throttling every night
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you run test to speed test.verizon.net do you get good results?

It's possible that because more people are cutting the cord, sites like YouTube are being hit harder in the evenings and can't keep up.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@thetanked wrote:

Does verizon seriously think people do not notice that they are being throltled every night. 50/50 up/down and 2 devices connected. One hard plugged in, the other wireless. Wiresless is passively using while the hard plugged device is struggling to load a 10 min youtube video. Seriously verizon...! 

Verizon does not throttle on their internet. So they are not the blame.

wifi is not ever going to be as fast as direct ethernet to the router. And YouTube like other streaming services can be viewed for a lot less broadband speeds. 

If you have a slow down or staggering streams place the blame where it belongs.

youtube.

0 Likes
Yet again cannot load a simple video
thetanked

First off verizon site is broken. the Feedback tab will not work for chrome. Great job verizon. And again I am buffering my way through a 10 minute video. All throughout the day it is fine. Until 8pm hits, from then it just gets worse and worse. What is the point in paying for a service but not receiving the agreed upon service.

0 Likes
thetanked

I get 50~ Mbps down and 10~ up. So that is Bit not Byte up and down 

0 Likes
thetanked

I am sorry but if you do not think ISP throttle their costumers then there is nothing left to talk about. You understand that they know when peak hours are so they can control the bandwidth allowing more or less through. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Let’s look at it in a different way.

in early morning and at 5 pm the highway is filled with people going or coming back from work. The highway slows. So who you going to blame? The car you are in? Or the other users on the highway? It’s other users. 

Same with your internet, yes isp’s have throttled just read about Comcast in the news.

fios lets be honest may do the same but as of yet I have not seen any such claims by reputable sources to show they do.

youtube is very popular. And if you have people off work they will enjoy it when they get home. More people on the service and net will cause slowdowns.

my wife uses it constantly after she gets home, and we have no slow ups. No stuttering nor does Fios speeds impede my Hulu, Netflix or DirectTVNOW viewing, nor loss of connections on any of 24 devices on our network.

so like I said it’s not Verizon Fios . It could be any number of issues. You won’t know what they are if you don’t have it troubleshooted.

0 Likes
Re: Yet again cannot load a simple video
jonjones1
Legend

@thetanked wrote:

First off verizon site is broken. the Feedback tab will not work for chrome. Great job verizon. And again I am buffering my way through a 10 minute video. All throughout the day it is fine. Until 8pm hits, from then it just gets worse and worse. What is the point in paying for a service but not receiving the agreed upon service.

The first complaint is Chrome Browser issue, take that up with Google/Alphabet 

and in my reply to your same issue in the other thread I would call 1-800-VERIZON at the time you are getting these slow downs. This way let Verizon troubleshoot while it is happening.

What does the Verizon speedtest site say you are getting from Verizon’s server Down? Have you run a connected ethernet speedtest from your computer connected to your router? And no we are not talking WiFi 

Run that test and if it shows your provisioned speed then it has nothing to do with Verizon Fios. My bet is since bandwidth is finite and not infinite it is congestion and not throttling. 

thetanked

At the same time for car does not advertise that I wil get to a destination in an alloted amount of time, while verizon does. I should not have to pay for speeds that I clearly do not have. If my bandwidth is being cut then I should get a deduction on my bill. But does verizon do that? No, they test your speed using software that pings a server and gets a response. That is not an accurate test. Maybe if I wanted to ping a dedicated server thats job is to solely do one thing then sure yeah I will give it to them. But they do not test for "other" server speeds. So paying to get a fake speed might be nice for others but not for me.

As for you 24 devices and no hick ups. That does nothing for me. Like me saying that I just ran 12 miles and ate a very expensive steak while having a lovely conversation with a beautiful modal. It does nothing for you but inform you of what is happening in my life. Good on you I guess. I am not sure what you are looking for with that last part man. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

When I speak of my Fios connections or speeds I am not saying you will or are getting the same. No way that I can.

the highway analogy is closer to the mark than you making unsubstantiated claims that it is Verizon throttling on Fios, because it was reported the wireless side was.

Again what are the speeds you are getting from their proprietary test server? State them.

also show what speeds you get from Speedtest.net or other real world speed sites.

you again are claiming your speeds are not what you are paying for. What are they.

on the gigabyte tier it’s SPEEDS UP TO 940/880 it does not guarantee sustainable speeds. No isp can. 

And like the highway analogy the more traffic on the highway the slower the commute.

same for bandwidth the more people using it the slower it may go.

All I can say is the only viable alternatives is call Verizon tech support, or look for a better service.

This is a customer to customer forum. Complaints we can do nothing about. 

0 Likes