Trouble using Cisco IP Communicator
JoshK2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work from home and use Cisco IP Communicator as my "phone."  Everything worked just fine for nearly a year, until two weeks ago when suddenly I could not hear the person at the other end of my calls.  When dialing out I get a dial tone but I don't hear the other line ring.  The call does complete.  The person at the other end can hear me but I can't hear them.  I connect to my corporate network using VPN.  This issue happens both wired and wirelessly.  My router is an Actiontek MI424WR.  Computer is a laptop running Windows 7 Pro.  I'm guessing it has something to do with port forwarding and/or inbound traffic, though I haven't changed any settings.  IP Communicator works if I connect to another network, e.g. at a store with WiFi access.  I only have this problem at home.

Since this is affecting my ability to do my job, I'm anxious for a quick solution.

0 Likes
Re: Trouble using Cisco IP Communicator
Seabrook1

My colleague and I are having a similar problem with our CISCO voip phones.  We both have not had any problems for the last 4 years then on June 4, 2013, we could not hear anything on the other end of the line.  However, others can hear us.  We were advised to move to the IP Communicator but I fear we may continue to have the same problem.  Were you able to resolve this issue? 

I tested my phone at a neighbors house who uses a different provider and had no problems using my phone.

0 Likes
JoshK2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very interesting because my issue began on almost the exact same day (June 7, to be exact).  That reaffirms my suspicion that Verizon is blocking inbound VoIP packets and not admitting it.

My issue remains unresolved.  I've tried:

1) Using port forwarding rules to open the ports needed by IP Communicator.

2) Using port triggering rules to do the same.

3) Using QoS rules to give my business laptop priority on the network.

4) Having Verizon replace the ONT box.

5) Having Verizon replace the router.

6) Setting my laptop as a DMZ host to get around the router's firewall.

7) Buying a third-party router and trying to connect to the Internet with it.  This failed, both when trying to connect it directly to the ONT box and using the FiOS router as a bridge.  I worked with Verizon support to get the ethernet port enabled on the ONT box, but the third-party router was not able to get an IP address.

My next step is to find a neighbor who has FiOS and see if I can get it to work on their network.  I'm 99.9999999% sure that the problem is not in my apartment though.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I have the same issue, and it started around the same time.  Tried all the same troubleshooting you mentioned.  Did troubleshooting with corporate IT support, Cisco, Verizon, and Actiontec.  IP Communicator works from office and public networks, but not from the home network any more.  Others can hear me, but I cannot hear them.  I noticed today that the firmware version 40.20.7 is not the same 40.19.22 that the label says shipped with the router.  Additionally, the date of the firmware revision is just around the same time the issue began.  I tried working with Verizon and Actiontec to try reverting to the original firmware as a test, but they stated that it will automatically update to the newest version.  I welcome any ideas.  This is really frustrating.

0 Likes
JoshK2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it not possible to revert to the previous version even for a few minutes?  That would be long enough to run a test like this.  Very interesting though, that now three people have reported this same problem starting at the same time.  I've been on live chat with Verizon more times than I can count over this, but will initiate another one tomorrow to see if I can downgrade my router's firmware, even briefly.  I'll post back with the results.

0 Likes
JoshK2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got off live chat with Verizon.  They are unable (translation: unwilling) to provide a way to roll back to 40.19.22.  I would really like to be able to try this.  It just seems awfully suspicious that all of us started having the same issue at the same time.

0 Likes
JoshK2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tried going to ActionTec's support site.  They said the only way to do it was through the Firmware Reset utility in the advanced settings for the router, but that only lets you go back as far as 40.20.1.  If anyone knows of a way to get the firmware back to an earlier version, please post it.

0 Likes
JoshK2
Enthusiast - Level 2

In addition to the people who have posted here, I've now gotten confirmation from my company's Help Desk that home-based employees in at least one other city (Chicago) are reporting the same issue, having started at the same time.

Is anyone from Verizion reading this thread?  There is clearly a problem either with the router firmware or elsewhere in the Verizon network.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@JoshK wrote:

In addition to the people who have posted here, I've now gotten confirmation from my company's Help Desk that home-based employees in at least one other city (Chicago) are reporting the same issue, having started at the same time.

Is anyone from Verizion reading this thread?  There is clearly a problem either with the router firmware or elsewhere in the Verizon network.

I don't think Verizon sells "wired" Internet service in the Chicago area.  I could be wrong.

0 Likes