Ultra Slow DSL Speed After 7P.M. PST
Mikethez
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I have the 1.5 - 3M plan with Verizon, my internet speed is fine from 1 A.M. to 6 P.M. or so but every night around 7 P.M. or so my internet speed comes to a halt at around 0.55M down and 0.62M up. 

This is a problem tha occurs EVERY NIGHT. and this is becoming increasingly annoying since that's when I get back from school and need the internet the most to do my homework and such.I called Verizon and all they did are line-tests which don't do S**t, I am really getting P.O.ed at this point, everytime I call all they do is a line test and NOTHING gets done. 

I seriously don't know what to do anymore guys, I need some help. anything would be appriciated!

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path INTERLEAVED
Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 800

Margin (dB) 10.8 9.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 47.0 27.0

Transmit Power (dBm) 19.1  11.9

0 Likes
Re: Ultra Slow DSL Speed After 7P.M. PST
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of the router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
Mikethez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im using Westell 7500 Modem Router,

I have no firewall on my computer,

The Router is literally right next to me,

It's a direct Ethernet connection to my laptop,

Thanks 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Is wireless in the Westell Enabled?

#2 If wireless in the Westel is enabled, what level of wireless security is it set to ( WEP / WPA ) ?

0 Likes
Mikethez
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using a Ethernet cable right now and the wireless option is disabled

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you try connecting this modem to the NID

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

#2 If not, do it - and report back if any difference.

0 Likes
ksharris1

We've been having exactly same slow-down on Verizon in Southern California -- speeds around 6.5mpbs between dawn and dark, then slowing to under 1.0 mbps starting about 6 p.m.  This happens on each of three computers in house (all new-ish), even when they are on Ethernet cable with modem.  All computers work fine if taken to nearby coffee house, so obviously these are not the problem. 

Have had numerous telecons with Verizon techs over past few days.  One tech did a remote-connect, checked a machine on speedtest.net, and acknowledged the facts as stated.  He thought, though, that despite the circumstantial evidence suggested by the recurring daily pattern, the problem had to be the modem. 

Today I received and installed the replacement modem from Verizon, same exact problem continues.  New tech checked and saw nothing from her end that could slow the DSL speed.  But to me, all this points to network degradation.  In any case I need Verizon to resolve the issue right away since I work from home in evenings.

Any suggestions about why this happens, or how to encourage Verizon to identify and resolve, much appreciated.

0 Likes
Digital395

I live in rural eastern California where the fastest plan I can get is Mbps.  Perhaps 2 to 3 weeks ago I noticed a significant slowdown in the evening as well (normal download is about 1.2Mbps and is now consistently about 300Kbps in the evenings).  My staff have reported consistently slow evening connections over the last few weeks as well. 

I am surprised to learn that other, non-rural, areas are experiencing the same issue. 

It would be terrific if Verizon would make a public statement as to why this is occurring.  I don't expect such, but would encourage those experiencing these evening slowdowns to post to that effect so that the issue is documented. 

I made no hardware changes and did follow the "slow DSL connection" troubleshooting tips offered by Verizon (like powering the modem off then on).

0 Likes
balthaser
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ksharris1 wrote:

We've been having exactly same slow-down on Verizon in Southern California -- speeds around 6.5mpbs between dawn and dark, then slowing to under 1.0 mbps starting about 6 p.m.  This happens on each of three computers in house (all new-ish), even when they are on Ethernet cable with modem.  All computers work fine if taken to nearby coffee house, so obviously these are not the problem. 

Have had numerous telecons with Verizon techs over past few days.  One tech did a remote-connect, checked a machine on speedtest.net, and acknowledged the facts as stated.  He thought, though, that despite the circumstantial evidence suggested by the recurring daily pattern, the problem had to be the modem. 

Today I received and installed the replacement modem from Verizon, same exact problem continues.  New tech checked and saw nothing from her end that could slow the DSL speed.  But to me, all this points to network degradation.  In any case I need Verizon to resolve the issue right away since I work from home in evenings.

Any suggestions about why this happens, or how to encourage Verizon to identify and resolve, much appreciated.

This gentleman is absolutely stating the fact. I'm in Los Angeles county as well. The modem control panel page shows Speed(Down/Up) 7520 Kbps / 800 Kbps but the bandwidth testing clearly shows an atctual poor 0.65M
0 Likes
hippocrite

I've been having the same exact issue for the longest time now (also located in the LA county). Tech support is no help no matter how polite or fed-up you are. I'm paying for the 4.0-7.0Mbps plan, and on the best of times I barely get 4.0Mbps. Everynight after about 6-7pm my speeds shoot down to under 1Mbps...

Currently at this VERY moment, it is 7:54pm and my speeds are 0.30Mbps / 0.73Mbps (D/U)...These speeds are atrocious and should not be tolerated by anyone needing a fast broadband connection. Stupidly, I've already signed up for a 1 yr contract, so I have to wait it out until I give Verizon the boot (screw the cancellation charges, I'm not giving VZ more of my money).

0 Likes