Unauthorized use/access my internet devices by Verizon personnel.
Grubas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Somebody without my permission was accessing my internet equipment.

Everything indicates that this person was doing this from the Verizon site.

My credentials to access my router has been changed. My WiFi  settings has been change.

All my devises like security cameras stopped working. This criminal activity should be stopped immediately. This is unacceptable.

Unfortunately looks to me that Verizon doesn’t take any steps for security and privacy Fios internet clients.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unauthorized use/access my internet devices by Verizon personnel.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

ISP provided equipment on the DSL and FiOS side is typically managed using TR-069 / CWMP management platform. The changes may have been done in error by a firmware update, or from a support technician entering the wrong account.

The same rules apply with those using Cable Internet. If you use the ISP supplied modem and router, they can SSH, Telnet, and access OOB Web Administration by pulling up your account. You can't stop them from accessing your own modem, per the DOCSIS spec, but you can prevent them from messing with your router by keeping the modem and router totally separate.

Best to keep backups of your configs, and if you're not wanting the ISP to muck with your settings, to use your own equipment to attach up to the ISP's network. Fortunately, FiOS only uses routers, not modems.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Verizon did not access your network, it is up to the customer to secure their network upon start of their service.

If you called Fios for technical assistance they do have the ability to make changes and to test your equipment. However they require permission to do so.

Any person with access to your router can access and change it since the login and password are on the router. You must change the login and password to one not listed on the routers information card.

Then the problem you speak of should not occur.

Verizon Fios had nothing to do with it. 

Grubas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon did access my network by rebooting my Verizon router.

All my network settings inside the router gone, port forwarding gone, my security camera stopped working, router password was rest to the original.

Maybe my question should be how to prevent Verizon from changing my router security setting?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon only accessed your router because you either called for a support issue or there was a general update etc to your router. Both of which can be solved by getting your own router and then you won’t lose your settings.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

ISP provided equipment on the DSL and FiOS side is typically managed using TR-069 / CWMP management platform. The changes may have been done in error by a firmware update, or from a support technician entering the wrong account.

The same rules apply with those using Cable Internet. If you use the ISP supplied modem and router, they can SSH, Telnet, and access OOB Web Administration by pulling up your account. You can't stop them from accessing your own modem, per the DOCSIS spec, but you can prevent them from messing with your router by keeping the modem and router totally separate.

Best to keep backups of your configs, and if you're not wanting the ISP to muck with your settings, to use your own equipment to attach up to the ISP's network. Fortunately, FiOS only uses routers, not modems.

greenwave_rtr
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is what I found out as well.   I just asked this question in a separate thread -- but is there a way to disable the TR-069 (CWMP) protocol from the Quantum Gateway router that I bought myself from Amazon?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They do push new version of the firmware.  Not sure if that is what occurred.  And new versions have been known to reset things.

Not recently but quite a while back they reset everyone's password from the default "password" or "password1" as part of security exposure.  I am sure they might do something else if the security was thought to be exposed.

0 Likes