Undelivered router, poor service
JROUS

For a week I have been calling Verizon, trying to order a new wireless router-modem. Although Verizon has repeatedly promised one, all I receive is a plain modem. The last technician I spoke with explained why. It seems that the ordering system changes "wireless modem" to "wired modem." I'm giving up on Verizon and going to Best Buy.

0 Likes
Re: Undelivered router, poor service - What Exactly Is Your Goal?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@JROUS wrote:

For a week I have been calling Verizon, trying to order a new wireless router-modem. Although Verizon has repeatedly promised one, all I receive is a plain modem. The last technician I spoke with explained why. It seems that the ordering system changes "wireless modem" to "wired modem." I'm giving up on Verizon and going to Best Buy.

Verizon does not supply a "wireless router-modem."  In fact they don't use modems in FiOS installations (assuming you are subscribed to FiOS services).  They do indeed supply Actiontec routers that connect with Verizon network ONT devices.  If you will describe what you want to achieve with your equipment and home network, there are many qualified and experienced folks here who will try to help out.

0 Likes
luvboxerdog2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not called yet but I want a wireless modem/router too.  I have DSL, fios not available in my area.  I bought a wireless modem/router from Best Buy and it was crap, finally died 1 yr later.  My next choice was to go to Verizon.  Now I don't what to do?  I don't want to end up with the same wired modem I already have, using as a backup for the moment.

0 Likes
JROUS

My goal is to connect my new computer to wi-fi by replacing the old Netgear router, which explicity says it does not work with Windows 7, with an up to date router.  During the first of my three lengthy calls to Verizon, I was assured they would replace the old Westell 2200 modem and the router with one of the new combination modem-routers that Verizon shows on its website. What came was a new modem, but with no router capability. The new laptop does have satisfactory internet access though an ethernet connection to the modems or the Netgear router, but it has no wi-fi capability.  

0 Likes
JROUS

I don't have Fios and nobody asked whether I did, although a lot of other questions were asked.

0 Likes
Re: Undelivered router, poor service
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 This is what I would do in your case.

a) Go get my own RJ-45 WAN port that has the kind of wireless that I want to use.

b) Then I would follow http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 If you have any questions, please ask.

0 Likes
JROUS

Thanks very much for this, but I fear I need some handholding, with more detail.  What is a RJ-45 WAN port, for instance?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If your dsl modem is an external, then it could have one of two possible connections.

a) USB

AND OR

b) Ethernet

#2 By external, I mean it is not inside of your computer.

#3 By ethernet, you could also say it has a RJ-45 LAN port.

#4 There are modem combos (modem and router all-in-one) that have a RJ-45 LAN port that can reconfigured to act the RJ-45 WAN port, but most modem combos do not have a RJ-45 WAN port.

0 Likes
luvboxerdog2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if you resolved your problems. I called Verizon and they sent me a wireless router gateway.  I have DSL not Fios and it works perfectly.  You disconnect your original modem and just use this.  It cost $40.  If you have a computer and a wireless device like an ipad, this is what they told me to get.  It is working fine without a problem for now.  Plus I didn't have to spend another $100 on a piece of crap NetGear from Best Buy that never worked from day one.  

JROUS

I'm glad it worked for you. Yesterday I received from Verizon a second modem, which they call a router even though it has no wi-fi capabilities. In the meantime I purchased a Lynksys 2500 wi-fi router that has worked like a charm from the moment I (very easily) installed it, using the first Verizon modem.  Both Verizon modems came without paperwork and return labels, so I have no idea where to send them.   

0 Likes