Unfairly charged for a technician visit
aakanksha555
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I got a new FIOS internet connection in August in my aprtment. The internet wasn't getting setup even after following the specified instruction and talking to the customer care represenatives for hours. They then said they'll send in a technician to set up the internet. The technician did a quick fix in the main Verizon switch box located in one of the closets and got the internet working in minutes. 
After a month I am being charged for the first time and this includes a $50 technician fee. We were never informed of a fee for the technician ever before. It is Verizon's job to have the internet functioning as per their guidelines. How can they unfairly charge me for the techinician's visit without even once informing me about it?

Anyone getting a new connection I'd recommend to consider all these hidden factors into consideration. As per the Internet speeds are concerned, I keep experiencing network drops and terrible upload speeds of a few Mbps, nothing close to the promised 100Mbps uplaod speed. 

0 Likes
Re: Unfairly charged for a technician visit
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There should not be a charge to swap out the ONT. Are you sure that's exactly what he did?

0 Likes
aakanksha555
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you elaborate... What does swap out ONT mean? 
All I know is he did a quick fix in the main switch in one of the closets. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To verify speed, you must use a wired connection and test to speedtest.verizon.net

Speeds are only guaranteed as network access.
This site will test that.

If you are not receiving the contracted speed, you can use this result to help get results.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Optical Network Terminal =ONT

i highly doubt the tech went in and replaced it. There could have been a ethernet/Cable foulup. If ethernet the twisted pair could have been screwed up on setup, or a bad termination on the ethernet or maybe even a thing as simple as a system reset.

in any case the person should have told you what they did. Many customers seem to think that every time you call in for problems it is something that should be billed to the customer. This is patently false. If the damage is outside at the pole, line, ground box, ONT inside or outside they have no right to charge you. That is their cost of doing business. Now if the problem is not outside or after the ONT then yes they have a right to charge for inside issues.

if they billed you I would call the states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission in your state (google it) they can assist you. 

You can also use other remedies of your own choosing to get your money back.