Unidentified network when using port 2 on router
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello.  Suddenly when I got on the computer tonight I was not able to to conenct to the internet - the network adapter just said Unidentified network.  I tried various diagosing steps and every time it would just say Identifying..., and then eventually Unidentified network.  This is on port 2 and I have another computer on port 1 with no issues.  I moved the cable to port 3 and it connected and worked fine instantly.  Went back to port 2 and again it said Unidentified network.  Is it possible that just one particular port on my router died?  Or could a random configuration issue be causing this?  Would like to know as this would be a problem if it happeend to any more ports.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Unidentified network when using port 2 on router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Give the router a reboot and a factory reset. Perhaps that should fix the issue. The possibility of a bad port also stands, if it refuses to work even though it is indicating a link. If this doesn't bug you, I'm sure the router still has some life left in it despite the bad port. You can run leaving the bad port alone or you can just ask Verizon to ship another router to you.

0 Likes
Re: Unidentified network when using port 2 on router
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I will do a factory reset when I get the time.  I was just wondering if a single port dying even sounded possible - I guess it does.  When this happens the lights are on and flashing both on the PC and the router port, yet it can't identify the network.  I'm probably okay for now but I'll definitely contact Verizon if another one flakes out.

0 Likes