Unlink settings between Fios Extender (E3200) from Fios router (G3100) ?
nosoup4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to turn off wi-fi on the router and leave it turned on for the extender.  The router is two feet from my head during the work day and I want to turn that wi-fi off but leave the extender wi-fi which is on the other side of the basement.   Seems that the extender just repeats all the router settings including wi-fi on/off.  Is there a way to make it so the setting can be separate between the router and extender?

My work computer is hard wired to the router so turning off router wi-fi is not a problem. 

thanks for any suggestions

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlink settings between Fios Extender (E3200) from Fios router (G3100) ?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. You just need to place the extender and the router on two separate network segments. E3200 discovers G3100 through SSDP, which uses IGMP and IP multicast. Multicast has TTL of 1, so a layer 3 device between the router and the extender can effectively stop their discovery of each other.

Another method is just to have a quasi-firewall device between the two to block UDP port 1900 for SSDP. Creating two network segments and quasi-firewall can both be accomplished through a managed switch.

A managed switch with port-based firewall is not typically found in the consumer price range, however.

For example, I would configure it as such in my switch.

imageCisco ACL Config

View solution in original post

Re: Unlink settings between Fios Extender (E3200) from Fios router (G3100) ?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. You just need to place the extender and the router on two separate network segments. E3200 discovers G3100 through SSDP, which uses IGMP and IP multicast. Multicast has TTL of 1, so a layer 3 device between the router and the extender can effectively stop their discovery of each other.

Another method is just to have a quasi-firewall device between the two to block UDP port 1900 for SSDP. Creating two network segments and quasi-firewall can both be accomplished through a managed switch.

A managed switch with port-based firewall is not typically found in the consumer price range, however.

For example, I would configure it as such in my switch.

imageCisco ACL Config