Unstable connection, packet loss
dagrom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am at a total loss -- I have spent hours on the phone with customer service and no one is able to help me or escalate my problem to someone with lower level control or knowledge.

My ping jitter is out of control and I drop lots of packets because of it. This makes gaming near impossible online but what's worse is that I work from home full time so it impacts my work and my own bottom line.

here are screen shots of a traceroute that got stuck and a ping tester

https://imgur.com/a/4tb3NoZ

I have a black box ONT and a G1100 router.

Please help me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unstable connection, packet loss
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the traceroute program you're using shows a high amount of latency to your router. Are you connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet? Any range extenders on your network?

if you are on Wi-Fi, since you're on a Mac, Hold down the Option key while Clicking on the Wi-Fi icon on your Mac menu bar, and take a look at the Wireless information. What do you see for RSSI, Noise, Channel, and Band?

View solution in original post

NotaVerizonLady
Enthusiast - Level 1

same exact issue here.  we apparently pay for a 25/25 connection but are being given 100/100 complimentarily for previous issues, and it still makes fairly non-resource heavy games impossible to play, it affects some streaming—live streams particularly, and it even can interfere with Sketchup...here in the DC Metro area, Verizon got its fiber in the ground early on and has a basic monopoly here.  i imagine because of the density of the population/distance from the closest hub that Verizon chooses to provide a low quality connection at most times to balance the area.  it's clear that certain apps/activities immediately increase the packet loss or lateness as tested repeatedly with an older MMO game.  i've even given myself a static ip, tried DMZ, forwarded ports as well, and used a VPN...no go.  it's not what we pay for as long-standing customers with multiple Verizon services...speed's great, but it needs to be usable.

Macbook Pro Retina Intel i7 3.1GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 6100 Card |  G3100 router

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of ONT do you have? Alcatel-Lucent or DSL modem?

Can you ping some websites and tell us what is the latency?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the traceroute program you're using shows a high amount of latency to your router. Are you connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet? Any range extenders on your network?

if you are on Wi-Fi, since you're on a Mac, Hold down the Option key while Clicking on the Wi-Fi icon on your Mac menu bar, and take a look at the Wireless information. What do you see for RSSI, Noise, Channel, and Band?