Upgraded Verizon Router to 1GB using coax cable
CallieO

I recently upgraded my Verizon Gateway router to the newest Verizon Router and extender and increased my speed to 1GB.  My question is - am I going to be able to use the new router with coax cable or do I need to have a tech come out and run an ethernet connection to the ONT box.  The rep I spoke with SWORE it will work with my existing coax cable!  I repeatedly asked her to check to make sure my ONT box can handle speeds of 1GB. I told her I only have a coax connection to my existing router.  I was told previously that I would have to upgrade my ONT box because it couldn't handle 1GB and there would be a charge of $149 to do this.  Don't know who's not telling the truth so I figured I would reach out here and find out.  I CANNOT be without internet as I work from home (as most do now a day).  Wondering if I should call tomorrow to ask for the 100th time and hopefully get someone who knows something.  If I do need do upgrade the box or have an ethernet cable installed to the modem I would rather schedule it now before the equipment arrives.  Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable responses.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgraded Verizon Router to 1GB using coax cable
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To chime in, even if a tech does have to run Ethernet and swap out your ONT, it takes them 20 minutes to do the work usually. The techs work fast and will get you back online in less than a lunch break. I've seen it done myself in homes where a BPON ONT has to be swapped to a GPON or newer ONT. They don't have to run new Fiber but they will prep the Ethernet cable before they replace the ONT itself.

But other than that, 1Gbps won't work with Coax with the way Verizon provisions it. That's why they send a tech out if your ONT is on Coax. The Fiber coming into the house will still be good.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Internet will need to be switched over to the Ethernet port on the ONT in order to utilize full speed. That can be done remotely and does not require a technician to be dispatched to the house.

I upgraded my Internet service last year. Verizon dispatched a technician to replace the old Tellabs 611 with a Nokia 211. The Service Charge was waived.

I would run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router in advance and have it ready to go for upgrade day.

There will be some downtime. In addition to the physical swap of the ONT, the circuit will need to be moved from one piece of equipment to another.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you take a picture of your ONT, then we can determine for your once for sure. Older BPON ONTs don't support gigabit subscription speed and a truck-roll is required to upgrade the ONT. Because you subscribed to gigabit, the tech visit charge should be waived.

Regarding the coaxial cable, it cannot get speeds higher than 100Mbps for both technical and administrative reasons. A field technician only pulls an Ethernet cable for you when the route is easily accessible. If the cable needs to go through walls, you need to do it by yourself.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To chime in, even if a tech does have to run Ethernet and swap out your ONT, it takes them 20 minutes to do the work usually. The techs work fast and will get you back online in less than a lunch break. I've seen it done myself in homes where a BPON ONT has to be swapped to a GPON or newer ONT. They don't have to run new Fiber but they will prep the Ethernet cable before they replace the ONT itself.

But other than that, 1Gbps won't work with Coax with the way Verizon provisions it. That's why they send a tech out if your ONT is on Coax. The Fiber coming into the house will still be good.