Upgraded to HSI Enhanced. Ended Up Getting Slower Instead of Faster.
Mikester44

I upgraded my plan to HSI Echanced.  However, my speeds have actually decreased.  With the basic HSI plan I had been able to reach 350kb consistently for the last few years.  Now I seem to top out at 180kb.

Only 1 out of the 5 people I spoke to on the phone today mentioned that perhaps my loaction is now further away from the signal/center than it used to be.  Which would make a lot of sense.  That's been my only conclusion based on what I've read also.

A bunch of tests were performed on my line today.  All said to be very good.  I was told to expect a call in the next 24-48 hours from someone.  A call I'm somewhat doubtful about...  So now I'm wondering if I should just downgrade back to what I used to have.  Hoping that I could get the speeds I used to once again...  Should I continue to wait or is that the best way to go about this?

It's rough to expect one thing and get the complete opposite.  Any information you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Upgraded to HSI Enhanced. Ended Up Getting Slower Instead of Faster.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What's more likely is the fact that you were probably "optimized" or had your profile turned down, even though nothing physical with the line itself changed. Just to prove whether or not that's the case, let's see some Transceiver statistics from your modem. If you don't know how to get them, just let us know what modem you have and we'll help you get those stats.

0 Likes
Mikester44

Yeah, not sure how to do that.  My modem model number is 7500.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visit this page: http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

If that doesn't work, visit http://192.168.1.1/ and click on System Monitoring. Click Advanced Monitors from the side of the page, and then click Yes through the prompt. Finally, click on Transceiver Statistics.

0 Likes
Mikester44
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A line like that should be good to 3-7Mbps, leaning more towards 5Mbps since your line seems to have a profile pretty close to mine. I'm at 5M/768k + FastPath and use the older (and not as nice) ADSL standard and it is rock solid.

Call Verizon and ask someone to set your profile to 5Mbps. As you're on an ADSL2+ DSLAM you should be greenlit for it no questions asked. At 10,000ft Verizon may complain but if it holds, then it holds. If they tell you it's automatic, get them to find someone who can do it on the spot for you since it could be days to weeks for the speed to actually go up, or even never. It takes no more than a minute since it's mostly an automated process.

0 Likes
Mikester44

I upgraded to the 1.1 to 3 Mbps plan since it was the only one available in my area.  Which still seemed good since the basic is 0.5 to 1.1.

Does that change anything as far as what I should be asking Verizon to do?  Since asking for 5Mbps would be beyond what I'm paying for.  I'd gladly pay more if were possible...

I did get a phone recording today saying my request has been completed.  I had no idea what that was all about as nothing had changed.  *shrugs* 

I appreciate the help as I'm rather lost when it comes to this stuff.  I may have more questions so thanks for being patient. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, unless Verizon for whatever reason is still billing folks based on a 4-tier system, they should ideally have you under the newer two-tier system. If you're paying for 1.5-3Mbps, you are pretty much paying for anything to 15Mbps. If 3Mbps is all they say is available, try for 5M anyways. They will argue, but it's the same package and unless you're on a remote (as in, not coming from the central office but are coming off of a remote DSLAM or what is called a Pair Gain/SLC) you should get it.

See:

There are a few Remote DSLAMs/SLCs in my area that are giving folks ADSL2+ service with speeds higher than 3Mbps. The remote I come out of, because I'm a 6 mile run all the way back to the CO gives me both Telephone and DSL service on two miles of copper. The remote maxes out at 3Mbps and Verizon won't give anyone a higher speed than that on the remote I'm connected to (basically, their automated system won't let them set it) and this is usually due to either the limited bandwidth going to the remote, or due to the gear being so old to the point where extensive testing or some upgrades are needed to see if it will handle higher speeds.

With that being said though, as your line is using ADSL2+ you are by no means on old gear.

0 Likes