Upgrading the Gigabit from 75/75 questions
raffaral

I have read other posts regarding upgrading but as everyones set up is slightly different I have a few questions for who ever can answer.  So we have had Fios for over 10 years since they first came into the area and  I am in an old house.  My current set up is the ONT outside with coax to the router in my basement where the main PC is. I have 75/75 as well as cable tv and phone line through internet.  We had the old ONT but this was upgraded a few months ago during a blackout to the black ONT that looks like a router itself. I will provide pictures. So when I upgraded online I was given a service appointment and was told a new router would be sent. Nothing about needing to run new cables(ethernet) through the house.  Do I have to run ethernet? is the moca 2.0 adapter a good option now that it is almost 2021? Also the new router will be here any day and the service appointment is not for another 6 weeks. I would like to upgrade myself if I need to run ethernet or buy an moca adapter before the service appointment if possible. I believe I have the gigabit capable ONT.    Thanks for the feedback. imageONT outsideimage2 ethernet ports openimageMOCA light blinks green

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading the Gigabit from 75/75 questions
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Cang_Household, Ethernet is required between the ONT and the router for speeds over 100Mbps.

While this link can be run over coax with a pair of MoCA adapters, the coax must not also be used for TV.  Also, you'd have to find a way to stuff an adapter into the outdoor enclosure and run power to it.  From your description and picture, this doesn't look like a good solution for you, even if you don't have FiOS set-top-boxes.

If you can figure out a way to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router, you can speed up this process.  Once the Ethernet is in place, contact Verizon support and ask them to switch the ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN.  It takes a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.   Once that's done, you can order faster speeds online and it should be provisioned within a day, if not hours - no tech visit needed.  Your current order will likely interfere with the upgrade, so it will need to be canceled.  But don't do that until the WAN switch is done.

Another solution is to have the technician relocate the ONT to an indoor location.  It will last longer and be easier to service.  But you'll have to wait for your appointment.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to establish an ethernet link between the ONT and the router for any subscription speeds over 100Mbps. The Alcatel-Lucent ONT's MoCA 1.1 is capped at 175Mbps.

I see the cable carrying Plain Old Telephone is a CAT5 cable? I believe there are 4 twisted pairs in that cable. If that is true, may be you can pull a new wire for the telephone and re-terminate the CAT5 with a RJ45 connector for the ethernet connection to the router. I am assuming the telephone line is located near the router.

If you cannot, or do not wish to, pull any new wire, you need a MoCA 2.0+ adapter to convert the ONT ethernet to coax, and, using a coax splitter, to feed through the existing coax cable. On the end, split out the coax into another MoCA 2.0+ adapter to convert the coax back into WAN ethernet. You need to change the MoCA channels for the adapters to avoid conflicting with the router's MoCA LAN feeding the Verizon STBs. Please consult this post.

The MoCA adapters cost around $170, or you can pull a new ethernet wire.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Cang_Household, Ethernet is required between the ONT and the router for speeds over 100Mbps.

While this link can be run over coax with a pair of MoCA adapters, the coax must not also be used for TV.  Also, you'd have to find a way to stuff an adapter into the outdoor enclosure and run power to it.  From your description and picture, this doesn't look like a good solution for you, even if you don't have FiOS set-top-boxes.

If you can figure out a way to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router, you can speed up this process.  Once the Ethernet is in place, contact Verizon support and ask them to switch the ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN.  It takes a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.   Once that's done, you can order faster speeds online and it should be provisioned within a day, if not hours - no tech visit needed.  Your current order will likely interfere with the upgrade, so it will need to be canceled.  But don't do that until the WAN switch is done.

Another solution is to have the technician relocate the ONT to an indoor location.  It will last longer and be easier to service.  But you'll have to wait for your appointment.

raffaral

Thanks,  i decided to just run the ethernet.  Was easier than i thought just followed the coax.  I used cat6 and now just waiting for the router.  Should I call now to switch from coax to ethernet port  or wait for the new router?  Will I really save on the $150 speed upgrade fee if I dont need a tech visit or is that fee actually for the upgrade if you know? 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can call to switch from the coax to the ethernet now. Your old router is capable of ethernet WAN too. Regarding the upgrade fee, I believe you can call in and request to cancel the technician visit.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Contact Verizon now to switch to Ethernet WAN.  Phone support may not understand your request.  Tweet @verizonsupport or post in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect for better results.

You didn't identify your current router model.  If you currently have the Verizon G1100 or even an Actiontec rev I. router, they are gigabit capable.   Once you've switched to Ethernet WAN, contact Verizon again using Twitter or dslreports and ask about the pending order.  You won't need a tech visit anymore, so they may be able to push it through right away and remove the upgrade fee.

They usually charge the upgrade fee when a tech visit is required and when an ONT is replaced.  Since you got the ONT upgraded for free, you may get lucky!