Upgrading to Gigabit speeds---is new fiber needed to my home?
Gillville
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi folks,

I am looking to upgrade my service to Gigabit speeds at home, but when I initially installed service at my house, I had fiber run underground in 2008. 

I am afraid that if the actual fiber needs to be upgraded, I will not be able to use my existing fiber run to my house. Is there a way I can find out if this fiber needs to be replaced? I can't just ask a technician without scheduling an appointment, so I figured I would try here first.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading to Gigabit speeds---is new fiber needed to my home?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No the fiber does not need to be replaced. The ONT(main FiOS box) will probably need to be upgraded to the newer model. Ethernet wiring(Cat5e or 6) from the ONT to the router will also have to be ran. If you have an older router they will upgrade that too. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No the fiber does not need to be replaced. The ONT(main FiOS box) will probably need to be upgraded to the newer model. Ethernet wiring(Cat5e or 6) from the ONT to the router will also have to be ran. If you have an older router they will upgrade that too. 

0 Likes
t3rebello
Gillville
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the quick answer!

That is great news on the fiber : )

Regarding the run from the ONT to the router, we currently have RG59 for that connection. There's no way to use my RG connection, right?

0 Likes
Re: t3rebello
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Absolutely not. RG59 is an old type of cable but also the ONT can only do a 100 mbps on coax. Above that has to be ethernet. 

jonjones1
Legend

@Gillville wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking to upgrade my service to Gigabit speeds at home, but when I initially installed service at my house, I had fiber run underground in 2008. 

I am afraid that if the actual fiber needs to be upgraded, I will not be able to use my existing fiber run to my house. Is there a way I can find out if this fiber needs to be replaced? I can't just ask a technician without scheduling an appointment, so I figured I would try here first.

Thank you!

See edg1 reply. It is correct. No need to replace the fiber.

Re: t3rebello
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon will not provision any tier above 75Mbps on Coax. Maybe 100Mbps. But for sure, anything above 100Mbps will require the tech to run Ethernet (CAT5e) to your router.