Upload Speed Help
MinaFamily

Hey all, so lately I've been noticing that my uploadspeeds are about 90% less than my download speeds.

I am getting numbers such as DL/UP:

860/10 

823/7.12

92.7/4.63 

and sometimes the upload will drop as low as 0.2-2 range. Has anybody else had this issue?

I called verizon multiple times, and they are saying that there systems are showing that I receive 900DL/900UL, which seeing as I can't even hold a stream connection to twitch with a recently bought top of the line gaming desktop even downgrading all settings to 720p/30fps (like all the videos say). 

Is it an issue with the wiring? Should I just have somebody come out and fix it. We are paying for the gig packet, and I really feel we are being taken advantage of.  

0 Likes
Re: Upload Speed Help
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What routers are in use? And is the Verizon speed test showing your correct speed when you run it? https://speedtest.verizon.com/ . Perform both a "Router" and a "Device" speed test. Router will be available if you are using the Verizon FiOS G1100 or G3100 routers. Otherwise, just "Device" will be available.

If when you run the Verizon speed test it shows similar results on the "Router" portion, get a technician out. Could be dirty fiber, a rogue ONT on the PON, bad CAT5e cable, or something else. You can rule out the CAT5e cable between the router and the ONT by trying another, if you have an extra one. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the problem is probably at layer 1, physical connection. You can run a Verizon device speed test right here on Forum. Just find a picture that says "A simple speed test to check your connection," click it, and it will pull up the speed test page.

You might want to directly connect a computer with the ONT to run the speed test, in order to rule out the router is not causing the issue. If the same result persists, it probably has something to do with the ONT or Verizon's upstream device.

MinaFamily

I am using the 

• Tri-band 4x4 Router 

the problem isnt speedtest or the ethernet cable as I have used many and in multiple locations and pc,s yet they all say the same thing. The verizon speedtest lies as it is the only one that says I am receiving 900/900mbps but I cannot even stream among us on 720p 30fps without it getting interrupted (and my gaming pc is a powerhouse and not the problem). 

However I have dl'd a VPN that seems to help me have a more stable upload and stream at stable rates. However this shouldnt be the case. We are paying for a 1gig plan and at the moment are getting nowhere near that, and definitely under 10mbps upload speed with it sometimes shooting to under 1. 

Can some employee come and fix this issue? Is it a wiring issue to the router? 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, can you give more details? What is a "Tri-band 4x4 Router?" We are looking for the model number of your router, like G1100, G3100, or so forth.

@MinaFamily wrote:

The verizon speedtest lies as it is the only one that says I am receiving 900/900mbps

Is this speed from Verizon to your router or from Verizon to your device? There are technically two speed tests. I am concerned with your Verizon to device test. If you are getting 900/900 Mbps from Verizon to your router, then the problem is behind the ONT and at your home presumably.

Have you tried connect your computer to the ONT's ethernet output and run a speed test from there? If not, please try it and tell us the speeds you get from there.

Besides your router, do you have any other network equipment at your house?

@MinaFamily wrote:

Can some employee come and fix this issue? Is it a wiring issue to the router? 

If the problem is identified behind Verizon ONT, the user is responsible for configuring the network from that point on, unless you pay for premium technical support for $25 per month (it is now called Verizon Protect Home.)