Using Verizon's Static IP for my company router
nettraveler

Hello everyone,

Some background on my dilemma: We've purchased verizon fios internet service for one of our employees home office. The setup came with a static public IP for us to use. Currently we have our company router configured with the static public IP, plugged up to Verizon's router/modem, and that goes outside of the employees residence. Our company router doesn't appear to be able to ping the gateway of the public IP despite being directly plugged into one of the verizon router's LAN ports. The verizon router looks to be using the public IP as well (plugging a laptop to the router assigns the laptop a private IP which is being NAT'd through the public IP I imagine).

I suppose my question is, is there anything special we have to do on the Verizon router to let our company router use the public IP address and be able to ping the gateway?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Verizon's Static IP for my company router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nettraveler wrote:

should our employee take whatever connection coming from the ONT going to the G3100 and bypass the G3100 to go directly to our cisco router?

Yes. If you are subscribed to TV service and is using Verizon STBs, then no.

Without Verizon STBs, I don't see a point of G3100 in the way for double NAT.

Maybe you want to use it as an access point? Since your company can supply such an expensive Cisco router, I guess your company has spare Cisco Aironet access points too? (I am joking...)

What you want to do is bridge the G3100 behind Cisco router (LAN to LAN connection). Turn off its DHCP server and give it another LAN address, then you should be good to go.

By the way, there isn't a Fios Business forum. This is the wireline forum, and there is another wireless forum.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am very confused. Can you define these terms for me: company router, Verizon router, Verizon router/modem (?), Verizon router's LAN port, the gateway of the public IP?

Verizon router/modem? What is this? A G2100? This was never released to the public. Do you mean the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) made by Alctel-Lucent? Or you are referring to G3100 or G1100? Or even the G1500 (this is never released to the public either)?

The gateway of the public IP? You mean your static WAN IP's public gateway? Why do you need to ping that? For static routing purposes?

Are you connecting a router behind a router? If that's the case, you need to use Static NAT.

I am not sure whether this place handles Fios Business too, I mainly do Fios residential help. Still, I will try to help you.

nettraveler

I appreciate the response. I apologize for the confusion.

The "Verizon router" is a G3100, this is the only device from verizon that is in our employee's household currently. From the G3100 it goes outside to, what I imagine to be an ONT or something of that nature outside. The company router is a cisco 4321, we are plugging this device directly into one of the ports on the G3100.

We configured the cisco router with the WAN IP settings (IP address, Gateway Address, and subnet mask) and tested pinging the gateway for static routing purposes.

Yes it is currently a router behind a router, should our employee take whatever connection coming from the ONT going to the G3100 and bypass the G3100 to go directly to our cisco router?

I apologize I didn't realize I was posting in the wrong place, I can take this query elsewhere if that is protocol. I appreciate the time taken to read this. The situation was sprung on me last minute

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nettraveler wrote:

should our employee take whatever connection coming from the ONT going to the G3100 and bypass the G3100 to go directly to our cisco router?

Yes. If you are subscribed to TV service and is using Verizon STBs, then no.

Without Verizon STBs, I don't see a point of G3100 in the way for double NAT.

Maybe you want to use it as an access point? Since your company can supply such an expensive Cisco router, I guess your company has spare Cisco Aironet access points too? (I am joking...)

What you want to do is bridge the G3100 behind Cisco router (LAN to LAN connection). Turn off its DHCP server and give it another LAN address, then you should be good to go.

By the way, there isn't a Fios Business forum. This is the wireline forum, and there is another wireless forum.