Using a non-Verizon router for Fios internet
jmcookiemonster
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are moving into a new apartment next month, and have just signed up for Fios internet, with speeds of 100 Mbps upload and 100 Mbps download.

We have confirmed with our apartment complex that the connection into the unit is a Coax cable, there are no ethernet ports to plug into.

So, this means that we need a router that can support a Coax connection for our fiber internet. We only have internet (no TV or phone).

I cannot, for the life of me, get a straight answer out of Verizon customer service about which non-Verizon routers are compatible. They just keep telling me that I may have issues with non-Verizon routers and that they don't support them. Yes, I understand that.

Would a device with a MoCA adapter work for us?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using a non-Verizon router for Fios internet
jmcookiemonster
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

We discovered that the Verizon ONT box was located inside of our apartment. We were able to plug our non-Verizon router (Cisco Meraki) into it. It wasn't working, but when we called Verizon tech support, it was because something wasn't switched on (I don't know the details, my boyfriend called and he doesn't remember more than that). After they configured something on their end, it was up and running. Very thankful that the ONT box was right in our unit!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know of any other router that supports moca.

So best option is a moca adapter.

0 Likes
jmcookiemonster
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauthwrote:

I don't know of any other router that supports moca.

So best option is a moca adapter.

So would something like this work? https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16833301067

It's a router with a MoCA adapter.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Actually it’s just really an adapter/splitter.

in figure 3 it shows the coaxial coming into it, and another coaxial going out to a router.

same for if you want TV of which you are not wanting.

if you can do it just have Verizon figure out a way to run ethernet it will be much better.

0 Likes
jmcookiemonster
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjoneswrote:

Actually it’s just really an adapter/splitter.

in figure 3 it shows the coaxial coming into it, and another coaxial going out to a router.

same for if you want TV of which you are not wanting.

if you can do it just have Verizon figure out a way to run ethernet it will be much better.

Yes, it would great to get ethernet, that would solve our whole problem. But it's an apartment complex, we don't expect them to run ethernet up for us.

I mispoke earlier, that product from Newegg I linked isn't a router, it's just a MoCA adapter.

I don't see why something like this wouldn't work. The coax from the wall would plug into this, then we'd run a cable from the MoCA adapter to our router. But Verizon seems pretty adament on using their router only.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT should be somewhere in the apartment unit, unless the ONTs are being installed in the basement, and the existing coax is being re-used as an uplink to the apartment unit.

Would be worth getting a tour of the place to find your ONT. 100/100 won't be provisioned on Coax without one of the newest ONTs and routers being supplied at a minimum. Verizon has a standard policy of all installs of 100/100 or greater, and all new installs, become Ethernet from the get go.

0 Likes
jmcookiemonster
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612wrote:

The ONT should be somewhere in the apartment unit, unless the ONTs are being installed in the basement, and the existing coax is being re-used as an uplink to the apartment unit.

Would be worth getting a tour of the place to find your ONT. 100/100 won't be provisioned on Coax without one of the newest ONTs and routers being supplied at a minimum. Verizon has a standard policy of all installs of 100/100 or greater, and all new installs, become Ethernet from the get go.

I asked the Verizon rep, and she said they'll only run Ethernet for the gigabit speed. For 100/100, they will keep it as coax. So I bet the ONT is in the basement.

I wish they could just run Ethernet. We are also moving to a new state so it's kind of hard to do tours like that. We won't be there until we move in May. We plan on having our Verizon Router already purchased.

0 Likes
Texas2010
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same plan as yours 100/100 and was able to use a gigabit router, the technician installed an Ethernet port as part of the installation process. 

But if you could only use a coax connection, you may need a modem to pair with the router, as I used before with cable services like time warner cable/spectrum. 

Don’t talk to the customer service for technical support, just get the installation appointment with a Verizon tech, and ask about all those questions. You will need to rent equipments from them for the first month, but you should ask for info about compatible non-Verizon equipments from the technician, so you can replace those afterwards, if owning those devices is cheaper than renting.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't use modems.

They only use routers.

If you only have internet or TV without Verizon stb, you can use your own router.

You might have to have your own Ethernet run, esepically if you have an existing ont.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The rule for new installs is Ethernet regardless of 100/100 or Gigabit. That's per the techs in my area. Perhaps the policy has changed recently.

0 Likes