Using an external (USB) hard drive on my network (Fios G1100 Router)
Qoklo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm hoping to attach an external USB hard drive to my network for backups (Mac Time Machine).  Is it true that the USB ports on the G1100 router don't actually do anything?

I found a number of posts on this topic but they are quite old and some say Verizon is "working" on this problem.  Anyone have a clue if it's possible to access a USB drive via this sort of router? Or do I need to get a drive that has an ethernet cable?

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using an external (USB) hard drive on my network (Fios G1100 Router)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The USB port on the G1100 will not support a USB hard drive. Get a NAS hard drive so you can use ethernet. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The USB port on the G1100 will not support a USB hard drive. Get a NAS hard drive so you can use ethernet. 

Qoklo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! Man, that's wildly lame, but anyway, I do have a hardrive with an ethernet attachment. I assume it's NAS, it's a WDMyBook..... do you think this drive will work with the router? I've attached it and can't see any sign of a way to connect it or see it on the network.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have an older WD My Cloud which is also NAS and I have an app on my phone and computer to manage it. Just go to the Western Digital website to download the app.