VISS problems: McAfee Subscription won't active/ Site Advisor kills computer
tjswist1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cannot get my McAfee subscription to activate.  I click on the button, get the whirling arrow, and nothing else.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled VISS to no avail.  All I get is a week's grace on my install date.  Also Site Advisor, when it installs, kills my clock speed.  I cannot load Firefox or IE8; only my old AOL loads with site advisor running.  I have to uninstall it in order to get web browsers to run.

McAfee's virtual technician is as useless as In-home agent, it reports fixing the problem but does nothing.  How about some real tech support?

0 Likes
Re: VISS problems: McAfee Subscription won't active/ Site Advisor kills computer
1yrtogo

I have been having the same problem. I have been with tech support numerous times and cant solve the problem. Every time I try to activate the wheel spins but nothing happens. I need to activate by a certain date (and try to) but then it says my computer is at risk once that date has passed. I uninstall and reinstall and I am given another date to activate by, but again....it wont activate and the same thing goes on again. I pay for this service but have had nothing but problems since they went from radialpoint to McAfee. The old VISS worked fine. I cant believe Im paying for this aggravation! I have spent hours trying to make this thing work....to no avail. Looking for some good advice since Verizon tech support cant handle the problem they created.

0 Likes
Re: VISS problems: McAfee Subscription won't active/ Site Advisor kills computer
swampsparrow

Having same problem:  Get message saying I must "activate" by a certain date, even though I have signed on for the monthly plan for several computers.  When I click the "activate" button I get the whirling arrow but nothing happens.  Tried uninstalling and re-installing -- this gets you an extension for a few more days, but still won't "activate" -- just the whirling arrow.  System is Vista Ultimate.    Weird thing:  have VISS installed on 4 other computers (Vista Ultimate, Win XP, and Win7) with no "must activate" screens and VISS runs with no problems.  Not getting any help from Verizon or McAfee ... unable to contact their customer support.  

0 Likes
Sinuhe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also can't activate McAfee although it is installed on my hard drive

My deadline is 10-9-11..

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sinuhe may I ask what operating system are you using on your computer?

0 Likes
Sinuhe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Windows XP Pro

0 Likes
daddycapps

i have the same problem.every few weeks i have to download and reinstall which only takes about 45 miutes.yeah thats what i want to do every month.if they dont correct the problem i will become a comcast internet customer and i would just hate to have to do that to protect my computers

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need to disconnect the Verizon service over security software. There are plenty of free, lightweight and better Anti-virus programs as well as anti-malware programs out there. Might I point out Avast!, Panda Cloud AV and Avira? Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware are great tools to also consider. Windows Firewall does the job nicely when set up correctly.

For the McAfeee software, I would suggest performing an uninstall first through Add/Remove Programs. Once McAfee has been completely removed and you have rebooted your computer, run the McAfee install cleanup tool to ensure nothing else is present that relates to McAfee. That can be found here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507 . Once the removal tool has been run, make sure your PC has NO OTHER REAL-TIME SCANNERS INSTALLED. This includes previous Anti-virus software that may have been in use, while with another ISP or perhaps pre-installed with the computer and has since expired (all too common with PCs new and old alike). From this point, re-install VISS and perform a custom installationm if possible, and attempt to install VISS without SiteAdvisor. See if the machine performs any better. If it does, try installing SiteAdvisor if you wish to use it.

alwaysspoiled

my mcafee was uninstall by mistake I was uninstalling a progarm 

0 Likes