VUDU HDX streaming problems
Rudy811

Up until January of 2014, I never had any problems with VUDU or Netflix streaming.  All of a sudden, I have problems EVERY time I try to watch an HD movie.  I have spent time with VUDU tech support and the problem exists with ANY of my streaming devices, two Roku 3 an Oppo BD player and a TV.  We only stream a movie on one device at any given time!

This issue just started earlier this year and is a real pain in the neck.  I am contemplating dumping Verizon and going back to cable.  I am paying for 50Mbps download speed and it works great, as long as you are not trying to stream a movie.  

Our kids are gone, so we barely use the system capability.  The only time we use more than just cursory internet access is while watching a movie now and then.  

For the money we are paying for this service, this is totally unacceptable.  Tech support claims nothing is wrong with our system.  We are stuck with everyone putting the blame on someone else. 

BTW, all the devices are wired, not Wi-Fi.  Router is GigE with connections to Gigabite capable switches etc.  Never a problem until recently. 

I would appreciate any help before I give up and dump FiOS for Cable....never thought I'd say that.

0 Likes
Re: VUDU HDX streaming problems
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem.  I have 75/35 service and www.speedtest.net gives me approximately those speed.  I can not watch Vudu HDX streaming hardly at all and Netflix isn't much better.  

0 Likes
Rudy811

It takes some work to figure out where the problem is. Needless to say, with FiOS speeds, we should never have problems.....but sometimes we do.

I struggled for a long time with problems and eventually noticed I also had problems with the History channel and a few others.  I called Verizon, but they were hesitant to send out a tech. The usual fix is to send out a new box or reboot the system, none of which worked.  Eventually, they sent out a tech to see what was going on.  

Shortly after opening the ONT box, he noticed a red flashing 'video' indication which explained the channel problems.  Signal was very weak for video.  He had to call a line technician to physically check the fiber upstream of the house.  Problems were found and fixed upstream.

I then had a solid 50Mbps, and have had that ever since. No more Verizon video problems ever since.

A few nights ago, I had the same HDX problem, but immediately ran a speed test and was running 50/25 as it should.  So, problem was not with FiOS.

Rebooted Roku3 and system worked fine. I have read of some memory leaks in the Roku boxes, so now I unplud the Roku when not in use so I don't have further issues from that item.

Good luck findiing the problem.  Check every item in the line.  If you are not showing speed issues from a wired pc, it is not likely a Verizon issue.  

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

More than likely Verizon has decided to cripple the bit rate / throughput for any video streaming service to any device attached to their network.

Video streaming services such as Netflix, Vudu and Hulu provide direct competition to Verizon's Cable TV, Premium Movie Channels, PPV and Redbox Instant.

With the demise of the FCC's Net Neutrality rules Verizon can and does pick & choose which fast Internet connections they are willing to support.

Rudy811

Verizon support has assured me that they are not throttling down any streaming.  I will trust them until they prove otherwise.

I would be glad to use Verizon's streaming services as soon as they offer 1080P and at least 5.1 service.  As far a I know, Redbox is not 1080P.  

I use VUDU for movies since I have not found anyone else that provides 1080P for streaming movies.  

I am keeping my eye out.  

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

"Verizon support has assured me that they are not throttling down any streaming.  I will trust them until they prove otherwise."

Verizon may not be overtly throttling or shaping their network traffic but instead have allowed their peer-networks to become so congested they achieve the same objective, which is to cripple the HD video streams for their competition.

The news regarding this issue is widely published across the Internet so there is no plausible way Verizon can deny this.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does anyone Know which isp(isps) VUDU uses to host their services?

We know that currently the biggest dispute is between Verizon and Cogent (Netfix main ISP).

0 Likes
toptek1

nice little wirte up about it on VUDU i would rather use  some trhing like  VUDU over  verizon any day . i love verizon  fois and won't give it for any thing  but for movies i will  go off site and not to  redbox .

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?1911-Article-ISPs-potentially-Interfering-with-File-Sharing-pr...

🙂 ...

Also don''t for get Amazon i used them all they support my  DVD player and redbox supports jack and  imo blows wind .. sorry thats how I feel  over  using  Amazon netflix  vudu  etc , Verizon  can't match it .

PS: i  don't trust comcast as far i can  thorw them , i hope I  will never  ever have to go back to them ever for  internet TV  No matter what  they  tell me  i don't beve a word of  it. (  thats how bad it was for me when i was with comcast) .

Why i came to verzion all most 6 years  ago and comast is no better today .

0 Likes
jlanzy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Actiontec MI424WR Router Revision I, it wirelessly connects to my Oppo BD player, and I when I use the VUDU hdx streaming, 50/25 which shows that with speedtest, it will sometimes stall showing the spinning disc then eventually resume to occur again within several minutes.  I then drop down to HD which works with fewer stalls, SD is just too poor to watch anything.  So I am assuming from this tread so far that there are no port forwarding, QoS, etc setup items in the router that will allow the stream to run uninterupted?  ( No one else is using the wired or wireless internet while we are trying to watch a streamed show.) Any suggestions appreciated, I am not savvy to router terms and making any changes without specific instructions.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you haven't called VUDU direct, I would.  they are very talented normally, and can pin point stuff.

(888)554-VUDU.

0 Likes