Verizon DSL - Frustrating Performance
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been using Verizon DSL for about 6 years now. For a while, service was sufficient, but for the last year I've had nothing but negative experiences with it. I've been experiencing slow speeds and frequent disconnects. I've called tech support numerous times only to get the typical responses that do not address the problem. "Have you tried restarting your computer? Have you tried restarting your modem? Have you tried restarting your router?" I've done all of these suggestions more times than I can count with 0 results. I'd love to switch my internet provider, but Verizon DSL is the fastest available internet in my area (sad). I wish Verizon would make an effort to help their customers, but with my current and past experiences I don't believe that is going to happen any time soon. For the past week I can barely use the internet. Websites load extremely slow. I can't play any online games because the latency is too high. I've even made sure the two computers in the household are not downloading anything when the internet drops out. I've tried using better DNS servers. Nothing has helped. Is there someone that could possibly help me? It doesn't seem like Verizon will.

*edit* Here's a traceroute i ran

traceroute to 72.77.*.* (72.77.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 ash-b2-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 TenGigE0-0-0-10.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (152.179.50.233) 2 ms 7 ms 1 ms
4 T0-5-0-1.PITBPA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net (130.81.163.77) 16 ms 14 ms 14 ms
5 G15-0-0.PITBPA-LCR-04.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.182) 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms
6 P3-0-0.PITBPA-LCR-02.verizon-gni.net (130.81.27.252) 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms
7 P9-0.PITBPA-PITBPADT-ERXG02.verizon-gni.net (130.81.33.159) 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL - Frustrating Performance
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
What kind of modem do you have? Do you know how to get your transceiver statics from your modem?
This information can help sometimes to see if there is a line issue or packet loss. Someone with more knowledge can look at your modem stats and give an idea what the problem is.
0 Likes
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My modem is an Actiontec GT701D. I'm also using a Linksys WRT54G router.

Here are my transciever statistics:

My download and upload speed listed are what i should be getting, but I can't even watch a youtube video on 360p straight through because it pauses and freezes every couple seconds. I would think that with those speeds listed below would be able to stream a 360p video all the way through.

DSL Status

VPI:  0

VCI:  35

DSL Mode Setting:  1

DSL Negotiated Mode:  G.DMT

Connection Status:

Speed (down/up):  2944 / 832 Kbps

ATM QoS class:  UBR

Near End CRC Errors :  263/0

Far End CRC Errors :  17/0

Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Near End RS FEC :  507892/0

Far End RS FEC :  11293/0

Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins):  0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):  0/10

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):  98/25

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
You definitely have some sort of line/modem issue there. Attenuation of 98 is extremely high. SNR is off to. I've only been on this site since October but I have never seen stats like that. There are people who can look at these stats and give you a good idea of what's going on, and where to go from here. But verizon should of recognized some problem on your line or the modem... I believe the FEC errors are extremely high. Have your tried a to plug your modem into a different phone jack, or directly to your NID interface it's usually a gray box on the outside of your house. You can use a long phone jumper and run it through a window ( if there's one close by) to save you from bringing and extension cord outside..
0 Likes
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't tried either of those suggestions. I'll try using a different phone jack now and if that doesn't help i'll try plugging into the NID interface tomorrow since it's 9pm here now. Thanks for the suggestions. 

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
If your modem was error free you could deff watch 360p on You Tube. The modems probably having issue keeping DSL sync or loosing packets
0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
No problem, let me know how it goes.
0 Likes
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tried using a different wall outlet, but no luck - same dsl statistics +-1

Hopefully someone with a good understanding of what's causing the problem could shed some light. I would call Verizon's support, but i'm sure i'd be talking with someone halfway around the world who couldn't help and would just suggest restarting my modem and computer. Is there someone from Verizon i could possibly talk to? Some sort of technician that could set the wheels in motion so to speak? Could it potentially be fixed at the DSLAM? Or is this more likely a hardware problem with a faulty modem?

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
Next step would be to try it from the NID and see if the improve. I have a feeling they won't.
But it's worth a try just to rule out your home wiring. Then you can call verizon and insist on a tech visit. I'm not sure if a bad modem could cause the problem. Is it the original modem?
0 Likes
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not the original modem. The original actually ended up not working anymore a couple years ago. The modem i have now is probably 1.5 - 2 years old.

0 Likes