Verizon DSL Tech Support and Slow Upload speed
Dawson461
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have been having considerable issues for 16 months with Verizon DSL and numerous chat sessions/calls to Verizon tech support. They verified that the upload speed was 768Kbps. Every site showed 360 - 370 Kbps. 

Finally a technician came to the house and confirmed that the maximum upload speed at that location was 384. How could tech support be lying the whole time? Many times I point blank said 'why is the modem set to 448?'. They said the PCs would be faster than that. When the VZ techs come in through our PCs with Citrix remote support, they are dumbfounded that that they only got 27 Kbps - they ALWAYS forgot to realize the Citrix session is taking some the upload bandwidth to see my video - DUH 

The worst part is the billing. We have been paying for something that is impossible to get. They are only willing to backdate a refund for 3 months because we never raised a billing issue. Um, thats because you lied about the speed.   

Re: Verizon DSL Tech Support and Slow Upload speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and tell me what you see mentioned as both the download and upload speed that the modem reports it being connected at.

ronne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon sucks. I haven't been told the truth yet. I don't think there are two people  who work for Verizon who can give the same answer. I've been promised refunds/rebates & when I call back to check there is no record of it. Most timeswhen  I call they push fios, I finally agreed to have it set up because our dsl is so slow(about same as dial up) when I had to cancel appt, they "accidently" turned off dsl & it took almost 3 weeks to get that situated. I've been told that dsl is slow because of my computer & that their dsl is one of the fastest & tests that way. I got another computer & am still having the same issue. Can't afford fios.  Sorry your having trouble too, but I'm glad it's not just me.

0 Likes
ronne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello! Just out of curriosity, mine says 1184/448  kbps. What is it suppose to be in relation to each other? I f you don't mind my asking....

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

1184/448kbps would be represenative of the following:

1: You're currently set at the basic DSL package

2: 1184kbps is your max theoretical download speed. You won't achieve this due to overhead in TCP/IP, so you will be expecting results more along the 980kbps/1010kbps range on a downlaod or a speed test. This would equal roughly 125KB/s of download speed.

3: 448kbps is your max theoretical upload speed, which represents 380kbps as your max attainable upload after TCP/IP Overhead. You should receive 45KB/s out of the upload.

The speeds in conjunction with each other represent an asymetrical connection; one where the download was designed to work faster than the upload.

0 Likes
lsapar

Verizon upload speed are extremely slow - 768 bps is dragging and I can't wait to get rid of my service - I have called so many times and the reps say verizon can't do better than 768.  Unfortunately they can't even get FIOS into my neighborhood.  I'm tired of cobsebs forming while I wait for uploads.  Download speed is fine - the upload  - well they have to do better to keep my business.

0 Likes
Trader_Vic
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just went through internet speed issue and two Verizon agents. If you have In-Home Agent and IHAMessageCenter inatalled. They will download in the background, I'm only 768k and they lower me to 240k. After completely deleteing both software from my computer. This my new test result from speakeast.net speed test Download Speed: 738 kbps (92.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate). I'm old and slow, but background download affect everbodys on the net.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lsapar wrote:

Verizon upload speed are extremely slow - 768 bps is dragging and I can't wait to get rid of my service - I have called so many times and the reps say verizon can't do better than 768.  Unfortunately they can't even get FIOS into my neighborhood.  I'm tired of cobsebs forming while I wait for uploads.  Download speed is fine - the upload  - well they have to do better to keep my business.

I hate to say it, but the rep is ultimately right. Unless Verizon were to dedicate some voice frequencies towards data, which causes issues with crosstalk they really cannot do better than 1Mbps (768kbps in most areas due to old gear). You'll want FiOS or Cable for anything higher than that. ADSL2+ with Annex. G can do 3.3Mbps of upload in Theory, but like I said, lots of moving parts to even getting that kind of speed out of DSL.

0 Likes