Verizon DSL keeps disconnecting
bearcat22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can anyone help? Verizon customer service has been horrible for years. I can't log onto the site, because it demands my Verizon Phone Number....which does not exist.  I only have Internet, not phone service, and if they demanded a "contact number" when I had it installed, that number is LONG gone and forgotten, I change phones at least once a year.  I am supposed to have some free web hosting space, and have not been able to use it for YEARS because I can't get onto the site!

Now, the BIG problem.  Since March of 2012, my DSL has been getting slower and slower, and for the past month, it has been completely disconnecting at least once a day, sometimes many times a day. The only thing that gets the connection back is to turn off the modem and then turn it back on again.  I  noticed a huge slowdown when I installed a Roku box, but the disconnections are the real annoyance.  I am spyware and virus free, checked many times.  I am in Washington DC, if that matters.  Thanks for your helpful, constructive suggestions.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL keeps disconnecting
phillyandrew

Same problem has been happening to me.  I noticed it real bad today.  I too have dry-loop DSL service (internet only with no phone service), but you actually do have a phone number associated with your account, believe it or not!  If you do get ahold of verizon tech support, they should be able to give you the phone number associated with your account.  If you ever try calling it, you'll get a message saying this number is not in service.  

Anyway... I called verizon and they said I was located near a known outage, but wasn't certain if it was affecting me, so I am waiting for them to call me back to tell me if I am affected.  

P.S I live in Philadelphia, PA.

0 Likes
leo_squirrel

I'm in philly too and the Dsl service here has been drop on and off all day.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all of you.

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 Even If you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem and you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
bearcat22
Enthusiast - Level 2

1.  I am not about to trust, let alone pay for, something like the utility you linked to.

2. My modem is a Westell model  A 90 750015-07

0 Likes
bearcat22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please keep us posted.....how long did it take them to call you back?  I strongly suspect NO ONE will ever call you back.

If there was an "outage" why did they not announce this to customers, rather than make people wonder what was going on?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bearcat22 wrote:

1.  I am not about to trust, let alone pay for, something like the utility you linked to.

You don't need to pay to use that feature.

If you don't want to use that site, fine. Then use http://network-tools.com/ instead.

@bearcat22 wrote:

2. My modem is a Westell model  A 90 750015-07

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes
TheRoscoe

I'm in Hazleton, PA and my Versalink 7500 Gateway Router is disconnecting many times a day i tried the verizon in home agent but it keeps giving me the same solutions all the time

0 Likes
KristinaK081

My service keeps disconnecting as well.  It's disconnected 5 times in 4 hours today.  Absolutely ridiculous.

I am in Boston, MA

0 Likes
davedc

I also live in DC, and I started experiencing the same thing today (5/6/12) after years of nearly flawless Verizon DSL service. Lost my connection to the internet 3 or 4 times in the space of a couple hours. Every DSL user knows the drill by now -- modem off, router off, PC off, then modem on, router on, PC on, and like magic, connection is usually restored. But today that only worked for a few minutes before another dropout would occur.

I remembered there used to be a way to check "Line Status" or whatever, but that is apparently no longer available.  I went through the rigmarole of tech support, only to end up "speaking" with some lady in India(?) with a very heavy accent and a very bad headset -- like she is going to know about local line problems in my neighborhood. I think not -- so because I couldn't understand her anyway, I just hung up.

The connection has been pretty good for the last couple of hours, so I am hoping against hope that whatever the problem was, it has been fixed or gone away.  Heaven help me if I ever actually do need tech support for my DSL service. What a miserable experience! On the other hand, switching to Comcast cable modem is not an inviting prospect either. Comcast tech support -- been there done that worn the t-shirt. No fun ...

0 Likes