Verizon FiOS Quantum Router Certificate Error
Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got my new Verizon Fios Quantum Router and trying to go to 192.168.1.1 or Myfisiosgateway displays a cert error from the new router.   Called Verizon and they said they have never seen this before, but did esclate it up.   Anyone else run into this?  I can click ignore and still login, but obviously I'm concerned about this error.    It did not happen with my older Actiontec router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FiOS Quantum Router Certificate Error
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need to solve. ALL ROUTERS that I now of do the same.  If you connect via HTTPS, you will have to accept the certificate they present.  CERTIFICATES COST MONEY from the issuing authorities, and are not worth paying for.  So they use self-signing certificates.  You can accept and install the certificate as a root certificate if you want to stop seeing the messate.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Common.  ITs so the router can issue its on certificates.  Its a self authenticated certificate.  They could not afford to get a seperate certificate for every router.

Lots of people never connect to the router using HTTPS trusting that noone can snoop within their home network.

fvo

Yes, I just got the gateway router right now, and tried to log in the router, and get the certificate error, have to ignore it to get in, please solve this issue Verizon

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need to solve. ALL ROUTERS that I now of do the same.  If you connect via HTTPS, you will have to accept the certificate they present.  CERTIFICATES COST MONEY from the issuing authorities, and are not worth paying for.  So they use self-signing certificates.  You can accept and install the certificate as a root certificate if you want to stop seeing the messate.

Quasibozo

Hi, I encountered the same issue and was insecure about proceeding. Inspecting the certificate though it indicated "Certificate Error" with a small circled "x". Does that seem harmless to you?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Quasibozo wrote:

Hi, I encountered the same issue and was insecure about proceeding. Inspecting the certificate though it indicated "Certificate Error" with a small circled "x". Does that seem harmless to you?

It is harmless. Like the other poster said it’s a self signing certificate. When you login to your router you are not on the “Internet”. You don’t need to be connected to the Internet to login to your router. For example you could take your router and laptop to the middle of a field with no internet. Power everything up with a portable generator and when you login to the router you will still get that message. The error is just your browser telling you thar it doesn’t trust the connection but since it is your router there is no harm. If you were to see that when you go to a website then you shouldn’t proceed 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.