Verizon Fios 400/400 Internet service only give 100 with Ethernet cable connection
Flovas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just signed up for the Verizon Fios 400/400 Internet service. If I connect my laptop or desktop using a ethernet lan Cat 6 cable I only get about 95 mbps. Even if I connect my laptop directly to the ONT box it will only give me 95-98 mbps.

The laptop does support 1gb speed. When I connect it at work using a lan cable I get 300-350 mbps.

Verizon tech came today and he was not able to resolve the issue. They replaced the ONT box and changed the verizon router everything remain the same.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Fios 400/400 Internet service only give 100 with Ethernet cable connection
Flovas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you GS0B,

The issue was with the cable.

I purchased a brand new Cat 6 cable and connected it from the ONT box directly to PC and I instantly received 600 mbps. Using the same cable on my laptop I also got 600 mbps. The 6 foot cable that the Verizon tech gave me was Cat 5E and this cable was changed twice on 2 different occasions by the Verizon tech. If I use this cable I only get 97mbps. 

I plugged my new Cat 6 cable from ONT box to Verizon router and everything is working as it should. Speed are over 500 mbps. 

Thank you everyone for your input and taking your time to help. Very much appreciate it.

View solution in original post

Re: Verizon Fios 400/400 Internet service only give 100 with Ethernet cable connection
VJR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

are you using verizon router

0 Likes
VJR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

if your using verizon router do speedtest https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ after it test pc it will test router see if router is showing corect speed if it dose 

go to device manger right click on network adapters click on the wired adapters right click then click properties  click advanded look for speed duplex and set to 1.0 GPS full duplex then click on Flow control  set to disable try speed test again

jonjones1
Legend

You need to call verizon 1-800-VERIZON and have them provision you correctly.

no need to finagle with your computer(s) 

a good test is to go to a friends house and see what speed you get there. Hardwired.

if you test your tablet or smartphone via wifi you would get more than 95 megahertz 

bad router? Bad ONT? I would say it's bad provisioning.

0 Likes
Flovas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I am using a Verizon Router G1100 model. Verizon did come out and they replaced the ONT box. Same results. If I am on WiFi my laptop getting 400 mbps + if I connect the laptop directly to the ONT box 97 mbps max. 

if I take the laptop to work and connect using the lan port I am getting about 600 mbps. 

At home the network adapter on the laptop and PC show a 100mbps status connection when I check it. 

I connect directly from router to device no hub or switches in middle. I have all new Cat 6 cables. I replaced the Nic card on my PC and Verizon switch the Verizon router and ONT box. I tried click advanded look for speed duplex and set to 1.0 GPS full duplex then click on Flow control and set it to  disable. When I did this the adapter doesn't connect and shows disabled so I had to revert it back. 

Not sure what else to try.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your computers are connecting to Ethernet at 100Mbps, you've a bad cable or a mis-configured Ethernet port.

If you have a gigabit switch you can use that to test cables and connections by observing it's status.  If you plug your computer into it and the gigabit light comes on, then you know the computer and cable are good.  You can do the same with the G1100 LAN - plug it into the switch and see if the gig light comes on.

If you haven't yet checked the port configuration on the router, do that now.  Recommendation is to set it to "Auto."  Here's a link that will work if you haven't changed your router's IP address:
https://192.168.1.1/#/advanced/portconfig

Good Luck.

Flovas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you GS0B,

The issue was with the cable.

I purchased a brand new Cat 6 cable and connected it from the ONT box directly to PC and I instantly received 600 mbps. Using the same cable on my laptop I also got 600 mbps. The 6 foot cable that the Verizon tech gave me was Cat 5E and this cable was changed twice on 2 different occasions by the Verizon tech. If I use this cable I only get 97mbps. 

I plugged my new Cat 6 cable from ONT box to Verizon router and everything is working as it should. Speed are over 500 mbps. 

Thank you everyone for your input and taking your time to help. Very much appreciate it.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad you got it working and thanks for posting a follow up so others can learn.

Enjoy.