Verizon Internet on GT704WGB Crashing
Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm still unsure as to why, but for the last 3 weeks or more, my internet will just die out for about 2 minutes and reboot. I don't live anywhere that can affect this, so I'm wondering the hell is going on? Any ideas? This happens at least 3 times a day, and at least everyday.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Internet on GT704WGB Crashing
Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright, I'll make it even more simple...
Only visible problem that I see is my INTERNET light going out. That's what it's called in the manual I believe, that's what it will be called. Everything else is fine, that means, MY SIDE is fine. I went through the freakin IT 220 Course at ITT Tech, Networking. I ran through everything I can from my side. And then you say that I should access my router and use the terrible built in program. Well, besides when this event occurs, and the INTERNET light goes out, everything is fine. I have never accessed the router config when my INTERNET light goes out. Probably because I know my INTERNET access was disabled randomly, it's not the router's fault, not my fault, so I honestly don't know what to tell you. I am no networking fool, please stop treating me like one. I was hoping a MOD would be able to help, that way I wouldn't have been angered so, but obviously that's unavoidable. And forget calling, wanna know why? They hire a bunch of people for cheap, that have little to no knowledge of networking or electronics, to sit there and read us their troubleshooting manual. I can read myself, as others that are obviously on here, why baby us? 
*SIGH*
I guess all of this is unavoidable. Is it so hard to just check my area, and note if there were DCs from their base?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Dephinix

Sorry you're having connection issues. When you say it reboots, are you refering to the modem/router or your browser? If its the modem/router then you need to check the physical connections at all ends and the outlet its connected to. If its the browser then you should try a different one to rule that out. If you're just unable to get to any sites for the 2 minutes, it could be wireless interference, in which case a wireless channel change could help. You also may want to make sure the router firmware is up to date.

0 Likes
Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's a reoccurring problem, which I realize can happen when a lease is reissued, but now it happens in bursts more frequently. When it reboots, I indeed mean the combined modem/router. All connections are tucked lightly to keep from moving, and from crimping. It'll do this and reconnect in about 2 minutes as you said. Actually, I should have been more clear in saying that the internet link light shuts off, though power and DSL link lights remain on. Now is the third time within half an hour. I'm unsure what you mean by wireless interference as all cellular devices are kept far away from modem/routers, my computer is connected physically, and I know DSL is a physical way of accessing the internet.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1In the router go to Status -> DSL Status.

#2 Post the info that is there.

0 Likes
chrisadam2
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can use the Power, DSL, USB, and Ethernet lights on the front panel of the Actiontec GT704WGB gateway to help diagnose home networking connectivity problems. Follow the steps below to diagnose and test the possible solutions for any connectivity problems you are experiencing.

Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright, I'll make it even more simple...
Only visible problem that I see is my INTERNET light going out. That's what it's called in the manual I believe, that's what it will be called. Everything else is fine, that means, MY SIDE is fine. I went through the freakin IT 220 Course at ITT Tech, Networking. I ran through everything I can from my side. And then you say that I should access my router and use the terrible built in program. Well, besides when this event occurs, and the INTERNET light goes out, everything is fine. I have never accessed the router config when my INTERNET light goes out. Probably because I know my INTERNET access was disabled randomly, it's not the router's fault, not my fault, so I honestly don't know what to tell you. I am no networking fool, please stop treating me like one. I was hoping a MOD would be able to help, that way I wouldn't have been angered so, but obviously that's unavoidable. And forget calling, wanna know why? They hire a bunch of people for cheap, that have little to no knowledge of networking or electronics, to sit there and read us their troubleshooting manual. I can read myself, as others that are obviously on here, why baby us? 
*SIGH*
I guess all of this is unavoidable. Is it so hard to just check my area, and note if there were DCs from their base?

0 Likes
rmaxell

I hope you eventually got your router issue resolved...because I am having the same problem on my Actiontec MI424-WR rev. D.  The service just cuts out.  I tried installing a wireless signal detector to see if the problem was jamming.  No conflicts there.  I disabled wireless on my PC and hardlined to the router, and its still carshes at least once every three hours for about two minutes.  Afterthe two minutes the systems comes back on.   It is VERY frustrating.  

Did you ever get a satisfactory solution?  It has been four years since your post.

0 Likes
rmaxell

I just did the Live Chat thing with Alex at Verizon Support.  He said the problem sounds like it is in the router.  Routers do not last forever.  He is sending out a new one and hopefully that will solve the intermittent crash problem.  I will post again when I get the new router.

0 Likes