Verizon Online Dialer Connection Issue
JC721
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Verizon DSL; I do not keep an "always on" connection to the Internet.  I use the Verizon Online Dialer.  Recently discovered that entering any character as the username and password is being authenticated and an internet connection is made.  What's up with this.  Normally get no connection if the incorrect username and/or password is entered in the dialer.  Please help!  No virus or any problems with PC, router or modem.  Thanks - JC

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Online Dialer Connection Issue
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

This means that in your area, they have switched from PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) to OPPPoE (Open Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet).

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

This means that in your area, they have switched from PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) to OPPPoE (Open Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet).

JC721
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not that any of that make much sense to me, but thanks for your response; I appreciate it.  Too bad the verizon tech support person couldn't tell me that before she sent me a new modem.  I tried to explain this issue with her and she was clueless, so she sends me a new modem.  Anyway, thanks again for the explanation.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JC72 wrote:

Not that any of that make much sense to me, but thanks for your response; I appreciate it.  Anyway, thanks again for the explanation.

You are welcome 🙂

@JC72 wrote:

Too bad the verizon tech support person couldn't tell me that before she sent me a new modem.  I tried to explain this issue with her and she was clueless, so she sends me a new modem.

Just commenting.

This new dsl modem is going to be most likely a modem combo.

If I am correct about my educated guess, you can configure the modem combo to handle the PPPoE connection and then you will have to stop using that Verizon Online Dialer Connection on your computer.

--

If I am correct that it is a modem combo when you get this modem combo, please start a new thread (if you need help configuring it and your computer).

I am just wondering..

#1 Do you know what the brand and model of the modem is going to be? For example the Westell 6100F.

#2 What is your OS and Verison? For example Windows XP.

0 Likes