Verizon Quantum Router Patch Bricked My WiFi, Cat-5 Works. Pulled MAC Address Filtering.
waynebo

Several days ago, my kids came to me and said that all wifi, on both the 2.4 & 5 GHz are non-operable. This extended to my wireless HP printer as well. I logged onto the router and found that whatever patching was performed, pulled by hardcoded MAC Address filtering. This adds a security exposure.

I don't know how to open an incident, because the website keeps redirecting me to wasteful docs that do not address this issue!

Side rant:

Another security exposure, in Net Security 101, is to NEVER have your router userid set to 'admin'... never. It boggles my mind that Verizon would set the userid of the routers to 'admin' instead of allowing user-defined IDs. Granted, there's a push to force everyone's WPA-2 keys to be stored at their site and other config information, for whatever NSA requirement, but to change the userid to 'admin', I mean come on.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Quantum Router Patch Bricked My WiFi, Cat-5 Works. Pulled MAC Address Filtering.
waynebo

ZOMG! I just did a factory reset.

Now, I have to create new keys and update 12 devices!

I want my money back on this router! This router is as secure as one from 2010! I use a key generating tool and this router just disabled its generating capabilities. You guys know that WPA-3 is just around the corner, don't you?

Verizon now prevents the following special symbols from being used in WPA-2 keys:

< > ' " % ; ( ) & + ~ ^

I also cannot log directly onto 192.168.1.1 and myfiosgateway.com doesn't load.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Quantum Router Patch Bricked My WiFi, Cat-5 Works. Pulled MAC Address Filtering.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@waynebo wrote:

Several days ago, my kids came to me and said that all wifi, on both the 2.4 & 5 GHz are non-operable. This extended to my wireless HP printer as well. I logged onto the router and found that whatever patching was performed, pulled by hardcoded MAC Address filtering. This adds a security exposure.

I don't know how to open an incident, because the website keeps redirecting me to wasteful docs that do not address this issue!

Side rant:

Another security exposure, in Net Security 101, is to NEVER have your router userid set to 'admin'... never. It boggles my mind that Verizon would set the userid of the routers to 'admin' instead of allowing user-defined IDs. Granted, there's a push to force everyone's WPA-2 keys to be stored at their site and other config information, for whatever NSA requirement, but to change the userid to 'admin', I mean come on.

They did a firmware update. MAC filtering will be gone until next update. 

A hard reset will fix the issue.

Just about every single router on the market has a default username of “admin”

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@waynebo wrote:

ZOMG! I just did a factory reset.

Now, I have to create new keys and update 12 devices!

I want my money back on this router! This router is as secure as one from 2010! I use a key generating tool and this router just disabled its generating capabilities. You guys know that WPA-3 is just around the corner, don't you?

Verizon now prevents the following special symbols from being used in WPA-2 keys:

< > ' " % ; ( ) & + ~ ^

I also cannot log directly onto 192.168.1.1 and myfiosgateway.com doesn't load.

Just so you know. If you want more secure router you can get one. You don’t have to use the G1100. 

JulioH1

You're lucky - after their firmware update to 02.02.00.13 all of my Google Home devices stopped being able to connect to the wifi, my Wink home automation hub can't connect and some devices plugged into the Cat 5 ports are behaving strangely (Sonos and TV).

For the record, I wasn't using MAC address filtering before the update when everything was working fine.

Did a factory reset, and now phones on the wifi can connect to the Sonos which is connected through one of the Cat 5 ports, but my TV steadfastly refuses to get an IP address (although it shows it's connected to the network) over the wired connection but will successfully connect to wifi when I tried that.

My 3 x Google home devices are still not able to connect, nor is the Wink hub. The Google Home app help says I should try and switch off client isolation, but damned if I can find that as an option in the router. And anyway, it was working fine before the firmware update.

Every now and then when my phone connect to the wifi, they are being allocated an IP in a range 10.x.x.x not the usual 192.168.1.x range which the router is meant to be using. If I switch off wifi on the phone and then back on again, it'll get a correct DHCP address.

Thanks Verizon - have wasted hours messing around doing factory resets and trying to troubleshoot. Oh yeah, and have now lost the ability to control my smarthome.

When is version 2.3 due to be pushed out?

0 Likes