Verizon Security Suite - Uninstall Family Protection
kchen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

We had to reinstall Vzn Security Suite, which caused our laptop fan to run full speed, full time.  We then decided to uninstall Vzn Security suite and laptop is fine/calm.  During the initial download, we got Family Protection but didn't set up a user name or passcode.  It has, nonetheless, been blocking most sites -- like McAfee (maker of Vzn Suite) and our kids' school!  It needs to come off!  It didn't uninstall with the Vzn Suite, and we don't have any uninstall codes to get it off.  Any help out there for us???

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Security Suite - Uninstall Family Protection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could try this tool if it's a program done via McAfee. I don't know that for sure. Someone else should be able to chime in.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

On a further look running that tool *SHOULD* kill it.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

How to uninstall Verizon Family Protection

Try your email addresses and passwords.

it does not have to be your vz email, but I would imagine that is what people would put in there most commonly.

If you don't have that Email and password for the admin account  then you might have to call verizon and they might be able to help you or they might have to get mcafee on the phone with you.

Lisa123451
Enthusiast - Level 1

HELP ME!!! I have now been transferred 4 times and the last time they transferred me to a voice menu system that answered in Chinese!?  I cannot get Family Protection off my machines. It was installed eons ago. I have canceled my service and now my computers are useless bc they will not connect to the internet. Family Protection is blocking everything. I have no admin username/pwd or removal key.  The first guy I spoke to never even heard of the software.  Come on already! Someone, how do I get this crap off of my computer?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Lisa12345 wrote:

HELP ME!!! I have now been transferred 4 times and the last time they transferred me to a voice menu system that answered in Chinese!?  I cannot get Family Protection off my machines. It was installed eons ago. I have canceled my service and now my computers are useless bc they will not connect to the internet. Family Protection is blocking everything. I have no admin username/pwd or removal key.  The first guy I spoke to never even heard of the software.  Come on already! Someone, how do I get this crap off of my computer?

This posting is over 4 years old. However I would google McAffee customer support and call that number. And tell them the issue. You can also just reformat your computer back to day one and then reload what you need.

0 Likes
Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found that to fully uninstall security software like Norton, McAffey, Trend etc using the Microsoft Uninstaller is not enough. They still leave many traces in all kinds of places/files. Almost all such programs have special uninstallers, google that topic, then I downloaded each to a stick and ran them, before installing a new Internet security program. In fact, AVG Ultimate (which I now use) did not even install until I first removed all such traces fully. Yes, life has gotten more complicated.

0 Likes
Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't reformat. Try McAffee Uninstaller first. Also try AVG Tuneup.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

That would be great if the McAffee support people explain how to get it out of your system. But alas McAffee like Norton is very intrusive. Yes it hides files in the registry and elsewhere. It's the way it was designed. 

To even use the uninstaller you you must know your administrative login name and password. The poster stated they did not remember either. Again in such cases McAffee will not assist due to the fact the computer is stolen and the thief is trying to access the system and the security suite is doing its job.

on my computers I start passwords from BIOS through login to the OS and passwords on any other programs that allow it.

Years ago I had a thief who couldn't cut my laptop security cable attached to a desk with a round steel insert. The thief used a hammer of some sort to smash my desk to get the laptop. But it did the thief no good. They could not login nor could they do a system wipe because the bios was password locked.

0 Likes