Verizon Wifi Keeps Cutting out
ghifan223
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all, 

I am in the Boston, MA area and I am having issues with my internet. I pay high speed (gig) and I am an Internet Radio Station Podcaster. I cannot have this keep happening. 

1) Have been constantly being cut off or logged out of my internet. This affects me and drops my streaming to my channels, and such. I need this to stop and i feel this isnt what im paying for

2) This also happens when I am on skype, discord, or any video platform. 

to troubleshoot, I have reset my modem multiple times. I have also reset my extenders

I have had a tech come out for my phone witch never had a dial tone since i had installation (my fault)

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Wifi Keeps Cutting out
ghifan223
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry all, I have been busy lately 

Jonjones, turning off the SON helped. Hopefully, that does the trick. 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

ghifan223
Enthusiast - Level 2

I almost want to say this may be a bandwidth issue. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Go into your routers settings or into the Verizon app and see if self organizing network is on. (SON) if it is turn it off. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, are you a Fios residential subscriber or a Fios Business subscriber? Since you use your Internet connection for "Internet Radio Station Podcaster," that would fall into a somewhat business category. I highly recommend you to switch to Fios Business for better support, if you have not already done so.

Have you tried to hardwire your devices? An Ethernet cable is definitely more stable than no cable.

ghifan223
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Cang, 

No I am not. I only do this as a hobby, not a business. I only started this when things shut down for COVID. I have decided to keep it going. I was told that the gig net would work out ok. I havent had a issue untill just a few days ago

0 Likes
ghifan223
Enthusiast - Level 2

JonJones, 

thanks ill try that!

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  If it isn't clear to you yet, you're talking to other users here.

When the internet cuts out, do you notice any changes in the lights on the ONT and the router?  If so, please report.  Note that fios does not use modems.  The ONT is the device that connects to the fiber and provides internet, TV and phone service to the home.  The router connects to the ONT to provide internet to all your devices.  Depending on the services you purchase from Verizon, the router may have both coax and Ethernet connected, or just Ethernet.  But it's still a router, not a modem.

WiFi can be unreliable.  Are you able to switch to Ethernet for any of your devices?  If you are, you'll quickly be able to confirm if these issues are due to WiFi or something else.  To be clear, Ethernet is best when you need the most reliable, always-on connection.  WiFi can cut in and out depending on interference from neighboring networks, devices, or even microwave ovens.  I recommend you use Ethernet for this mission critical application.

If this is a WiFi issue, there are several things you can do.  jonjones' suggestion to disable SON is an excellent 1st step, as SON on the Verizon routers has caused lots of issues.  If that doesn't help, the next step is to try different WiFi channels.  If possible, get a WiFi analyzer and see how the channels are being used by your neighbors.   If you can find a less congested channel, use it!

If none of that helps, you could consider using another router to provide WiFi service to your home.  You haven't stated which router you have, but the Verizon routers are "pretty good" at WiFi.  There are other WiFi solutions out there that provide more reliable, faster signals.  For example, many major vendors make mesh networks that solve most WiFi issues.  They do a much better job than the Verizon extenders.  Your options vary depending on if you have Verizon set-top-boxes, your budget and the size of your home.  If you give us more details about your current Verizon services, model numbers of your router and extenders, how everything is connected (Ethernet, coax); several folk here can offer suggestions on how to improve/replace the Verizon WiFi service.

Finally, I don't think you really need business service from Verizon.  From what I can tell, you'll pay more money for the same service.  You're supposed to get better support from them.  I'm not sure they would get into this type of issue.  Where it would make a difference is if we discover internet is cutting in and out at the ONT, then you'd get a faster response.

jonjones1
Legend

@ghifan223 wrote:

JonJones, 

thanks ill try that!

Hopefully that solved your issue.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree with the suggestions offered up. The telltale will be connecting via hardwire as opposed to WiFi. I would add that WiFi be turned off in the computer during the test period to ensure everything uses the hardwired connection.

I, too, am in the greater Boston area and haven't had any troubles with degraded Internet service (400/400).

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

dexman: You can leave both connections on and adjust their respective interface metrics. I'd like to have a backup connection in case one got disconnected.

Of course, given the OP know how to adjust the interface metrics, otherwise, I would not suggest the OP to try that at this time.