Verizon and Steam problem (east coast)
ctishue
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since this morning I have not been able to download anything on steam - it will sit at 10KB/s but nothing really ever starts downloading.  Enabling VPN immediately fixes the issue.  I was just browsing the steam forum and saw two other east coast FIOS users are also experiencing the same problem.  I am in DC.   I've tried many things to fix it, including  restarting computer, router, and ONT.  I flushed dns cache, changed dns servers, checked windows firewall, router firewall, windows defender, etc.  Been fiddling with it all day. 

Again enabling a VPN connection immediately fixes the issue so I'm guessing there has to be a routing problem or a block going on here?

Any help?  Thanks!

Re: Verizon and Steam problem (east coast)
VerizonUser3391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can confirm same issue. Here are two threads on the Steam forums which confirm its an issue only for Verizon customers in the Northeast region and that many are effected. Assuming only 1-10% of users are going to be proactive and try to figure out what is going on, or make an account to post in a forum, this is probably effecting many in this region: 

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1755772078709636453/

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1755772022656801675/

0 Likes
VerizonUser3391
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also called about a half hour ago and pushed pretty hard after they insisted it was my 3rd party router or an issue with Steam itself (their argument is that if every other service is fast, then its Steam and not them). I insisted it wasn't and for them to at least inform the network administrators via some sort of ticket or notification system on their end. I just received a text from Verizon with a repair ticket number. Estimated time to fix it is 9PM. My guess is they have BGP issue. Its kind of concerning they haven't seen this on their end the entire time. 

0 Likes
Eru123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this same issue.  Called earlier today and was escalated to a supervisor.  Both indivudals were pleasant but both denied my assertion that it was a widespread issue. . . I hope someone at Verizon is working on this.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

The Verizon folks there are better then the phone reps.

Good Luck.

solar_nights
Enthusiast - Level 1

Experiencing the same issue on my end - I am currently a Verizon FIOS gigabit customer in SE DC. 

Attempted all troubleshooting on my end - downloads are consistent across all other platforms except for steam. When I turn on my vpn the issue is resolved and steam resumes normal download speeds.

I hope Verizon escalates and resolves this as mentioned @ 9pm

VerizonUser3391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey everyone, I seem to have made a mistake on this. the repair ticket says:

Commitment Date: 12/09/2019 9:00 PM

So not today, but TOMORROW by 9PM... I didn't even check the date as I couldn't imagine it taking over 24 hours for them to respond. 

0 Likes
erack1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue for me NE DC. Tried every Steam troubleshooting idea known to man.

VerizonUser3391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please make sure to post on https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect and to call to complain about this. They don't seem to be putting a lot resources on this or maybe they simply don't have any idea what is going on. It seems for others that there is a lot of push back whenever we report the issue that they don't have an issue and the issue is with the user. Then when you insist they look into it, they admit the problem and say they are aware of it.. but don't say what the issue is.

0 Likes
NoSteamInDMV
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been affected by this as well and am quite frustrated by Verizon's lack of response. I have now spoken with two people about this, neither of whom were at all remotely helpful. It's been four days now, with literally no resolution in sight and I am tired of being told there is nothing they can do or that it's not an issue on their end. 

Well that doesn't pass muster because when I used the wifi at my office, Steam updated everything flawlessly. When I got back home last night and connected back to my Fios network...same...**bleep**...thing...I then went over to my neighbor's house, who uses Comcast, and logged onto his network. Guess what!? Steam worked fine on there as well. This is clearly a localized Verizon Fios problem in the DMV and it needs to be addressed.

If Verizon does not get on top of this I will be cancelling my service with them and going back to Comcast.