Verizon had Throtled my Upload Speed
markstvn

As a rural dsl customer after struggling with intermittent service over and over again for years about a year ago after many calls for service and three trips to my house to fix the wires on the service pole outside my house I finally got passable internet at 2.8 megs down and around .65 up.  I pay a total bill of about $80.00 monthly (Enhanced Internet On Bill) for a phone line and internet that I used to use for faxing only many years ago, which is now used only to support Verizon DSL.  I r ecently noticed that outbound emails with attachents are taking much longer to send.  I rechecked my speed and although the download speed is still acceptable at 2.8 megs down, all of the sudden instead of getting uploads between .6 and .75 my upload speed has been throtled to .25.

I called and went throught the horrible recordings and nonsense gauntlet that you have to run through to talk to a script reader in India and was told that my service was within acceptable parameters.  I do alot of emails with 1-4 meg attachments and this is slowing me down.  It of course is not anywhere near as bad as a slow download issue.  The phone rep was horrible and when I asked for an explanation, she told me that my speed was acceptable.  I couldn't get any answer as to why the upload speed has dropped to one third.  My internet is working fine, I'm positive the uploads have been throttled back.  I of course only want what I have been finally getting for over a year.  I honestly was afraid to call because I did not want my download speeds to revert to slow and none.  Having had verizon phone service at my house for 22 years and internet service from Verizon for at least 10 years, I was told that if I didn't like it she could transfer my call to the termination of service number if I wanted to drop my service.

All I wanted was a straight answer, instead I got a person who read from a script, was not knowledgeable or forthcoming, and was very non-chlant about immediately asking a 22 year customer if they wanted to terminate their account.  I hate this company and everything it stands for, and if and when I get a real choice other than a capped 4G Home Fusion Account from this same worthless provider I will leave in a heartbeat.  Way to go Verizon, another completely dissatisfied customer.  By the way, I"m not switching to Home Fusion, you can keep your 30 Gig Cap.

Does anybody have a answer as to why my upload speeds suddently dropped to one third.  To me it certainly doesn't appear to be a technical issue, but a purposeful upload throttle by Verizon.  I would pay more to get more, but what I had is about all that the line is capable of at my location, excepting however the upload speed of .25.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon had Throtled my Upload Speed
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Certainly not purposeful.

And you are not making the speeds you are seeing clear.

2.8mbps and 65 what up?  (certainly you don't mean 65 mbps.

Lots of things, some under your control, effect upload speed. 

Remember you are talking to peers here.  First we would need to know the speed you get to verizon speedtest http://speedtest.verizon.net .  It is the least effected by things outside Verizon's and your control.  Also try running Verizon's NDT (network Diagnostic test) and post that (minus any confidential info such as your IP address).  NDT is listed on the Verizon's speedtest page but sometimes its tough to get to run.

0 Likes
markstvn

Thanks for responding, and I know this is the community and do appreciate feedback and input.  I apparently didn't put the decimal point in on the upload.  I was getting between .60 and .75 up and now get about .25.  The download speed is fine for dsl and I am not unsatisfied, just trying to find out why I have suddenly dropped to one third for uploads.  The one of my post was in no way intended to be negative to the community, however the phone reps at Verizon support do make it difficult to maintain composure when dealing with them.

Here is the Verizon speedtest result, I will try to run the test you suggested and post the results.

0 Likes
markstvn

I ran the NDT, at least I think that is correct.  The results are below?  Did I miss something or is this what I was supposed to see:

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you post your modem's Transceiver statistics or sync speeds? If you don't know how to get this, tell us what modem you have.

Verizon doesn't shape on the upstream at all, only on the downstream to prevent those who have their line cards set too high from downloading faster than they should be, and to stop buffer overruns caused by the Juniper gear. The upload can be set to anything and it'll go at anything.

0 Likes
markstvn

I have a fairly new Modem supplied by Verizon - ActiontecGT784WN.  Sync speeds are:

Downstream 3360 kps

Upstream       290 kps

Using modem for download purposes is fine.  Upload works ok, but has slipped to less than half of what I was used to getting.  Speed tests used to show about .6 to .75, and as I recall sync speeds used to show about 768 when checking modem statistics.  I have made no changes at all to the modem or to any connections, this started spontaneously a few weeks ago.

Thanks

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Send buffer is really small. in that report.  Not sure what typical DSL Values are, I have FIOS.  What os are you running If windows XP, did you ever  run Verizon's speed optimizer?  http://www.verizon.net/speedoptimizer  .Note shouldn't be necessary on windows 7 or later and doesn't apply to non-windows machines. 

note values I get

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 56.66Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 58.12Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = amd64, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_67

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 261360 bytes.
100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 33.79 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 6 packets retransmitted, 162 duplicate acks received, and 165 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 7.07% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 91.7% of the time.
This connection is network limited 1.23% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Client IP address not found. For IE users, modify the Java parameters
click Tools - Internet Options - Security - Custom Level, scroll down to
Microsoft VM - Java permissions and click Custom, click Java Custom Settings
Edit Permissions - Access to all Network Addresses, click Eanble and save changes

0 Likes
markstvn

All my computers are fully updated Win 7's, and speed tests are the nearly identical on all of them.

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
Try to copy and paste your hole "Wan Status" page.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although it shouldn't be necessary, what happens if you do let Verizon Speed Optimizer change values (the page also lets you restore back if the results are not what you want).

@mssblack wrote:

All my computers are fully updated Win 7's, and speed tests are the nearly identical on all of them.

0 Likes