Verizon only provides 1Mbps internet in our area
jconder

This is Emory Texas zip 75330.  At the present time our community is only provided a connection at 1Mbps.  Needless to say that is not adequate for many online activities such as video streaming, but the biggest problem is just overall slow downloading.  Especially with two or more devices active at the same time.  I.e. it takes 5 hours to download an iOS upgrade for my phone from Apple with no other activity going on.

The modem provided by Verizon is able to handle up to 24Mbps so the bottleneck apparently is the equipment being used at the Central Switch.  It seems to me that as much as Verizon is upgrading equipment around the country there should be plenty of replaced equipment to upgrade our community.  Who can I talk to in Verizon that can tell me if there are plans to provide an upgrade or can actually make it happen?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon only provides 1Mbps internet in our area
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let's try to get an idea of what may be up first. What modem are you using, and could you provide the transceiver statistics from the modem?

0 Likes
jconder

I am using the Actiontec GT784WNV provided by Verizon.

But I do not have a performance problem.  The problem is Verizon only provides a 1Mbps pipe in my area.  When I signed up for service I was told my area has that limitation.

My question:  Is there someone who can tell me when Verizon is looking to upgrade their equipment?  At least to the 3Mbps level. 

1Mbps is painful and there are other options I can temporarily subscribe to if I'm going to have to wait long for Verizon to catch up. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visit http://192.168.1.1/

Log into the modem using one of following usernames and passwords, if you have not changed it:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/verizon

admin/verizon1

Once in the modem, click on Status.

The page that I am looking for has information such as Attenuation, SN Margin, and your speed. Please post the contents of that page, removing information such as your IP address, MAC Address, or your PPPoE username.

0 Likes
jconder
Firmware Version:
GT784WN-VZ-1.1.6
Model Number:
GT784WNV

Downstream Rate:
1184Kbps
Upstream Rate:
448Kbps
PPP User Name:
N/A
ISP Protocol
1483 via DHCP
Encapsulation:
LLC
Downstream Speed:1184 Kbps
Upstream Speed:448 Kbps
Retrains:0
Retrain Timer:7 Days, 18H:41M:15S
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:547
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
SNR Downstream :24 dB
SNR Upstream :25 dB
Attenuation Downstream :35 dB
Attenuation Upstream :21 dB
Power Downstream4.6 dBm
Power Upstream11.9 dBm
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks. That line should be good to go for a 5Mbps/768kbps package. Verizon should be able to offer at least 3Mbps in your area. Unless your area is extremely rural and Verizon is doing something lame, like running DSLAMs from T1 circuits, this is probably a database issue.

Please request Verizon to have engineering take a look at your area, and qualify it for 3Mbps or more. If they cannot do this, they need to explain why you cannot get more than 1Mbps.

0 Likes
jconder

Chatted with Verizon HSI Tech Support.  She confirmed that I was being provided 1Mbps service and could only guess that it was because I was located 17700 yards from the Central Office.  I requested engineering look into the situation and she said she would pass the request on to "her supervisor".  She refused to open a ticket saying this was not the kind of issue for  which she could.  I requested contact info for local engineering and she responded she does not have access to that information.  When I asked if there was any other way I could monitor progress on my issue she told me I would receive an email if my service was ever upgraded. Normally I experience very helpful people when I call "tech support."  This was not one of those experiences.  I will try again in several days.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

17,700 yards would put you past the loop limit of what ADSL would run over. Your attenuation suggests you are 8,750ft from the DSLAM/CO, meaning the original speeds I mentioned should apply.

Keep asking. Eventually someone will turn up who is able to help.

0 Likes
jconder

Thanks.  I will call and give it another go.  Will post here when I get more info or a resolution.

0 Likes