Verizon router G3100 vs Quantum Gateway G1100
BarrenSoldier

So I'm a long time customer of Verizon using FIOS. I've used the G1100 for a long time and now that I moved they upgraded me to the G3100. The G3100 is great except for one problem, when its comes to gaming it seems to be that uPnP/port forwarding is not working at all. I get a moderate NAT on games that show it.  I unplug the G3100 and plug in my old G1100 and everything works flawlessly and automatic.  I actually don't know what could be the problem. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon router G3100 vs Quantum Gateway G1100
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 has a more robust build-in firewall than G1100. G1100 will fall out of support soon as it is two generations behind. Currently, no feature upgrades will be provided for G1100. When it reaches end of support/end of life, no critical security patches will be provided and thus continued use of G1100 will be a security risk.

Regarding UPnP, it is insecure. According to Kayas et al. on IEEE, "a limitation in using the UPnP protocol to support [IoT] deployments is that it was not designed to address security as a first-order concern." https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/9284885/authors#authors For security considerations, UPnP should be disabled on routers regardless whether it is a G3100 or a G1100.

To allow game consoles to be accessed from the Internet, you can substitute UPnP with Port Forwarding (which is not much better in security, if not worse) or wait IPv6 deployments in your region. Using IPv6 would allow each device on your network to have a public routable IP (in other words, all are exposed to the public Internet), which introduces a whole new set of security issues that all devices need to have robust host-based firewall, if the network firewall is not next-gen rated.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 has a more robust build-in firewall than G1100. G1100 will fall out of support soon as it is two generations behind. Currently, no feature upgrades will be provided for G1100. When it reaches end of support/end of life, no critical security patches will be provided and thus continued use of G1100 will be a security risk.

Regarding UPnP, it is insecure. According to Kayas et al. on IEEE, "a limitation in using the UPnP protocol to support [IoT] deployments is that it was not designed to address security as a first-order concern." https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/9284885/authors#authors For security considerations, UPnP should be disabled on routers regardless whether it is a G3100 or a G1100.

To allow game consoles to be accessed from the Internet, you can substitute UPnP with Port Forwarding (which is not much better in security, if not worse) or wait IPv6 deployments in your region. Using IPv6 would allow each device on your network to have a public routable IP (in other words, all are exposed to the public Internet), which introduces a whole new set of security issues that all devices need to have robust host-based firewall, if the network firewall is not next-gen rated.

BarrenSoldier

thanks for the reply, does anyone know what the latest firmware for the G3100 is ? I forgot if it was 3.1.0.13 or something higher

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My router and extenders were at 3.1.0.13 the last time I checked.

The newest Verizon Router, the 6GHz model
BarrenSoldier

Anyone got this one ? any issues like the G3100 ? 

0 Likes
Re: The newest Verizon Router, the 6GHz model
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BarrenSoldier wrote:

any issues like the G3100 ? 

Could you elaborate on your premise? What issues do G3100 have?

Re: The newest Verizon Router, the 6GHz model
BarrenSoldier

the UPnP doesn't work for me on the G3100.

The G1100 works fine

0 Likes