Verizon's DSL or not in my upcoming home area?
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

Weird. Lately, Verizon's web site and its online chat said no DSL (and FIOS) services in my new upcoming area lately. A few months ago, its DSL service was available for lowly 1 Mb/sec speed. How come I can't get it?

Here's something weird. On the phone box, I see "DSL" on it. So, I can get it or not? This is confusing. 😞

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon's DSL or not in my upcoming home area?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, adding more ports depends on what you feed out of. It's easy to rack up another DSLAM and/or add line cards (or take cards with dead ports out of service) if they have one available. It's hard to rack up a DSLAM in a remote when you're confined to a very small building or box, and unless there's a sudden need for another remote Verizon won't build a remote (but they could invest in some pole-mount units but I've not heard of them using these). Another CO won't be built if there is another one serving your area unless it turns into a city (if it's not already). I can guarantee that.

When you try to order DSL over the phone, ask to get a ticket put into Engineering to have them check for available ports and mark your address as available. They should be the folks who can add ports as well, so either way go that route and hope for the best. If not, you'll either have to wait and see if someone disconnects from DSL nearby if they are just out of capacity, or you will have to consider finding a Cable company if one can be gotten. Short of that, your options are business-based connections over Copper or locating a Local WISP. Failing that, things start to become overcharging heaven and metered, or just slow.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What box are you talking about? Is there a splitter at the home somewhere inside or outside that has a DSL line and a Telephone line coming out of it? The address you're moving to might have had DSL installed at one point, or an attempted install and as such, had that equipment put in. I would check with neighbors if possible nearby that location to see if they have DSL if you're having trouble picking out info from Verizon.

It could be possible the database is indicating 1Mbps speeds are available, but the line is either right at the edge of getting service or they just don't have any more open ports on the remote/CO for the address.

But see what you can find out. Hope for the best especially if Cable Internet isn't available at the address. Otherwise, if no DSL you know where to go if Cable is available.

0 Likes
CavinKlein

you can always let the website search ur address

or have a online agent do it for u

and i wouldnt recommend the 1mbps or lower service

its painfully slow, for even basic internet use

and if u do go for verizons 1.1-3mbps plan

be very careful, cause u might be paying full price

for just 1.5mbps

0 Likes
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

@CavinKlein wrote:

you can always let the website search ur address

or have a online agent do it for u

and i wouldnt recommend the 1mbps or lower service

its painfully slow, for even basic internet use

and if u do go for verizons 1.1-3mbps plan

be very careful, cause u might be paying full price

for just 1.5mbps

Please reread my original post. I got the information from those two sources. 1 Mb/sec still beats dial-up, satellite Internet service, etc.

Ant
Contributor - Level 2

Updates: It was confirmed by a Verizon phone call this morning. No DSL and FIOS for this house. Also, the previous house owner said he used to have slow Verizon DSL and three phone landlines. I guess that is why it says "DSL" on it. It is strange/odd that Verizon won't give us, the new home owner/familay, DSL! Why not add more ports if not enough? Or build another CO closer? 😞

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, adding more ports depends on what you feed out of. It's easy to rack up another DSLAM and/or add line cards (or take cards with dead ports out of service) if they have one available. It's hard to rack up a DSLAM in a remote when you're confined to a very small building or box, and unless there's a sudden need for another remote Verizon won't build a remote (but they could invest in some pole-mount units but I've not heard of them using these). Another CO won't be built if there is another one serving your area unless it turns into a city (if it's not already). I can guarantee that.

When you try to order DSL over the phone, ask to get a ticket put into Engineering to have them check for available ports and mark your address as available. They should be the folks who can add ports as well, so either way go that route and hope for the best. If not, you'll either have to wait and see if someone disconnects from DSL nearby if they are just out of capacity, or you will have to consider finding a Cable company if one can be gotten. Short of that, your options are business-based connections over Copper or locating a Local WISP. Failing that, things start to become overcharging heaven and metered, or just slow.

0 Likes
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

How many ports are there in a CO building? When you say city, do you mean the whole zip code area or smaller? I noticed my current and future homes have the same problem with DSL (and FIOS) availability. Also, current home was too far (20K ft. back during GTE days and I assume that is still the same problem recently when I checked).  Is there a way to determine how far the phone line distances are? DSL/Broadband Reports' web site is down right now. 😞

As for ticket to engineering, can I do this online? I disliked the phone communications due to waiting. Thank you in advance. 🙂

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ports? It varies per CO but based on the size of the CO and the type of equipment they have, a CO could easily serve every person coming directly from the CO with DSL as each POTS card could be DSL-capable as well, but with no guarantee in speeds due to possible connectivity constraints. Remotes are a completely different story, as those have more capacity for POTS than DSL in most cases both in lines and in backhaul to the CO (OC Fiber, T*?) unless they're using a specialized 1:1 setup with POTS cards in remotes (not cheap at all, especially for higher density ones).

You can try the Live chat folks, but I believe that is for troubleshooting. The staff members here should be able to help you out since I know they have the right contacts at their disposal. If all fails, go to the phone and see what they can do.

0 Likes
Ant
Contributor - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

Ports? It varies per CO but based on the size of the CO and the type of equipment they have, a CO could easily serve every person coming directly from the CO with DSL as each POTS card could be DSL-capable as well, but with no guarantee in speeds due to possible connectivity constraints. Remotes are a completely different story, as those have more capacity for POTS than DSL in most cases both in lines and in backhaul to the CO (OC Fiber, T*?) unless they're using a specialized 1:1 setup with POTS cards in remotes (not cheap at all, especially for higher density ones).

You can try the Live chat folks, but I believe that is for troubleshooting. The staff members here should be able to help you out since I know they have the right contacts at their disposal. If all fails, go to the phone and see what they can do.

Thanks. 🙂

0 Likes