Very Slow Fios Internet Service at Belmont High School in Belmont, MA
jdunk17

Hello,

I'm a Labbb Collaborative Student who goes to Belmont High School on thursdays and fridays for class and I would like Verizon to offer 500/500Mbps Fios Internet Service to Belmont High School in Belmont, MA Because the Fios Internet is Very slow almost like Dial Up when there is a lot of students using it.

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow Fios Internet Service at Belmont High School in Belmont, MA
jonjones1
Legend

@jdunk17 wrote:

Hello,

I'm a Labbb Collaborative Student who goes to Belmont High School on thursdays and fridays for class and I would like Verizon to offer 500/500Mbps Fios Internet Service to Belmont High School in Belmont, MA Because the Fios Internet is Very slow almost like Dial Up when there is a lot of students using it.

That would be something your school would have to look into.

you as a student have no say in the internet provided by the school district.

if you are paying tuition to go there then your choice can be to find another school with the internet you need.

Good Luck

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello.

This might not be an issue with FiOS at all, at my previous high school we had a 300/300 Mbps connection, but the school's firewall limitied students to 2 Mbps per person, regardless of the load on the main internet connection.

Its also possibile that, like my previous high school, the on-site networking equiptment that the school uses to deliever internet service to you is quite garbage, and not the fault of Verizon. (Yes, we still had 12 year old 10/100 fast ethernet switches throughout the building, and sometimes I'd even come across an ethernet hub!)

I would bring your concern up to the IT department that runs your school, and hopefully you could get someone to look into it. 

Good luck!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like the IT Department needs to work out some traffic shaping policies, or ensure the entire backend network is Gigabit. The routing equipment should be suitable for the type of workload (meaning a FiOS G1100 or ActionTec MI424WR should not be in the mix anywhere). This means campus-grade equipment (if it's a campus) or robust equipment like Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateways.

Most schools in my area have to purchase 100Mbps-300Mbps Metro Ethernet circuit from the local Cable company because FiOS isn't available. Or, the schools get a dark Fiber circuit from Verizon which connects to a provider of choice at the central office. Most schools tend to loosen up the bandwidth restrictions at night, but during the day, manage traffic to ensure everyone can get a fair slice of the pie.

Also, if the problem is with Wireless, it's important to make sure that the wireless network is planned out properly. Modern networks should be designed around 5Ghz penetration, which yes, adds a ton of cost to the wireless deployment. But it pays off long term as 2.4Ghz is prone to so much interference.

0 Likes